Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting a complete new exhaust system on my '70 SS 454 ps, pb, auto this spring. From all the excellent posts I have read I am going with 3" torque tech pipes with X pipe and Dynomax Super Turbos 3" in and out(don't want REAL loud).
However, I am still wondering about headers. Whatever I get will be jethot coated but am not sure about manufacturer. From all the posts I gather that there are lots of problems with certain headers - hard to install, no clearances, poor spark plug access, etc. I want to avoid all of these problems, please can someone tell me who makes a good install, clearance, access header??
If it helps I have a factory LS6 (solid lifters but open chamber heads) .030. Currently I run the factor manifolds and exhaust but I want my engine to BREATHE!

------------------
1970 LS6

·
Registered
290 Posts
Great question. I would think this would be the place to figure out what is a really good header to go with. I will be needing a set for my 68 convertible, so this will help me out as well.

I have a set of old 2" hooker super comps on my 68 hardtop. They fit pretty good with the exception that they could tuck up under the car better and a mistake they made welding the collector on the left header and it angles outward necessitating having to fabricate a 3-1/2" tube with flanges to bring it back to meet up with the 3" exhaust. But clearances to the steering shaft: good, Spark plug clearance: a little close, but fixed that with header wrap so I'm not burning spark plug boots anymore.

Anyone have headers that they're totally happy with and would definately buy another set?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
i've got hooker comps too coated, no problems what so ever except they drug a little when i had real small tires up front, spark plugs are a breeze to get to, and they fit great. see pics below

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I do have hooker comp 2 inch primary headers on my 70 big block with power steering and A/C, with no interference at all, and the only plug that is a pain to get to is #8 between the A/C box and the valve cover, small hands are needed for sure. I also have a mandrel bent 3" pipes with the walker dynomax muffler. Not as loud as flowmaster, but you will be heard, definately. Great breathing, that is for sure, I love mine. Hope that helps, although these are the only headers I have ever had on the car.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a great site! Thanks for all of your replies. Frankly, Hooker has gotten a bad rap in past posts (poor fit, etc.). I would like some more replies to give us all a better indication. I was leaning towards Hedman, but now with the Hooker recommendations I have some options. Do you Hooker guys have specific product #'s to give us? I find the multitude of headers available totally confusing by the manufacturers, hence my first post.

Thanks, again.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Steve, the part number for hooker super comps with the ceramic coating is 2217-1. i've used this set of headers on every chevelle i've built and like i said before.no trouble installing good plug clearance and fit was very good.the only gripe i have is they hang a little low. other than that i would highly recomend these headers.

------------------
Don Edmonds
T.C.Member 1033
1969 Chevelle
2000 Harley softail deuce
www.bottlerats69.homestead.com

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am really not worried about hanging low, I have a 8 quart oil pan that will go before the headers ever will. Your answer is totally appreciated. Again, we can really learn from our mistakes and successes!

------------------
1970 LS6

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I think the hookers are just what you are looking for. Especially with the coating, and priced right to boot. There has been a couple of guys on here that have had interference problems with the hookers, maybe they will reply and let you know thier most common spot where that happens. My application, same as yours, required nothing to make them work great. Good luck and don't wake the neighbors, I always do! He He.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have a set of Dynomax ceramic coated headers 2" primaries but they do reduce to 1 7/8'right after the port.

They look, fit great. I am happy with them. They were about $210.
Tim

------------------
Mr. D
72 454 El Camino
68 RS/SS Camaro
73 RS/LT/Z28 Camaro
99 Firebird TA WS-6 A4 Color: Pewter
1995 LT-1 Caprice
1976 Jaguar XJ12L Chevy 350 converted . . for sale.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm thinking it's time to replace the headers on my hardtop and swap the old ones over to my convertible. Except the last time I bought the 2217 Hookers they were $200, but that was in the mid 80s. I just looked them up on the Summit website and they want $384, and $560 something for the ceramic coat.

Does anyone have a better deal on Hooker Headers or is this just the way it is?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Bigdog, that would be for the super comp header, that is made with equal lenth tubing, great for max effort engines. That is why the high price, look for the compitition header, unequal lenth tubing. That is what I have, and much cheaper than the super comp. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the price, you really can't go wrong with the Dynomax 1-3/4's. Summit sells them Jet-Hot coated for only $210! The part# is WLK-86110.

------------------
'99 Firebird Formula
11.91 @ 116

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'll throw my .02 cents in.
I went with Hedman Hustlers headers. Which I 've used and my friends have used. When I put my headers in my Chevelle with the help of a friend we had them in the car and bolted up in less than 15 minutes (no denting the pipe, No grinding off part of the header base plate).I heard the Super comps work well when there finally in the car but all the above problems I've heard from people who installed them in Chevelles.The other guys I know who have Super Comps said they wanted to beat the engineer who designed them.

1970 SS468/Th400

·
Registered
290 Posts
What is the tube diameter on the Hedman Huslers?

Thanks

·
Registered
777 Posts
Guess I'll throw in my 2 cents on the Hookers...I was not nearly as satisfied with the Comps as everyone else seems to be. I have a '71 SS that I put a 454 into and when I went to put in the headers, I ran into several problems. First, on the drivers side, I had to slightly clearance one tube to fit by the steering box without touching/rubbing and another tube actually rubs on the steering arm itself under certain conditions. On the passenger side, I actually had to dent the tubes quite a bit to clearance the starter and it still sits way too close for my liking. On the same side, I had to dent them pretty good to get around the end of the a-arm, and even had to hack off the corner of the a-arm so I didn't have to dent the tube too much. I can tell you that eacn pair fits differently as this was my second set and they fit worse than the first set which had a hole in them from the factory. If you are still considering the Hookers, I would seriously consider the Super Comp, as they seem to get a much better report than the Comps do. Mine are ceramic coated which I do recommend, but to have to beat up your brand-new shiny headers that much really pissed me off.

hope that helps,
Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
'71 SS (now with 468BBC)
'70 Nova 350/700r4
ACES #2780
Colo Spgs, CO

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
Just a note regarding coatings. Whichever brand you buy is your choice, but keep 2 things in mind; Make sure they are coated BOTH inside and outside. Coating on only the outside is pretty, but useless. This part is hard, but if you buy a set already coated, get some kind of assurance from the manufacturer that they WILL fit with no problems. If you have to dimple a pipe to clear a spark plug, control arm or tranny linkage, you'll be pretty P.O'd if you wreck your coating on that spot. If you buy a plain steel pair, you can test fit them, correct any problems, and then get them coated. BTW, I have had Hooker competition on 2 BB '69 Chevelles w. no problems, however, on this site, I find them to be the most complained about header due to fitting problems.

------------------
Dan Orgill

·
Registered
274 Posts
I oredered a set of hedmans from Jegs. These are the shorty headers uncoated. I paid 80.$ for them cause I originally oredered the hedman ceramacoat but waited and waited and never came in. Jegs never got their order from Hedman. The 80$ set i got fit perfect. Would be great if they were coated. And I still might send them out. I ordered for a BB chevelle, but these have very short, I think 4in total collector length. Is there a reason these aren't full length headers? They work and fit great but I had to take to a muffler shop to bend the pipe cause the headers turn down toward the ground at a 45 deg angle. The driver side went in from the bottom, no sweat and the pass side went in from the top just like the directions said. Spark plugs cleared and access is really good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The headers you are looking for are hooker 2455 . they are 2" primary. they do not sit to low at all. they are listed for 70 to 72 camaro. They fit excellent in chevelles.The camaro has a very similar front end so they fit easy. get the non coated as you will do a ding or 2 . Then get them coated later as you can afford. They are $168 in summit or jegs. You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I have a set of used hooker super comps with ceramic coating and 2" primary tubes if anyone is interested.

------------------
70 SS396 CHEVELLE
70.5 Z/28 RALLYSPORT

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.