Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Stock Fel-Pro

Votes: 17 12.5%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vote for which head gasket you like best and was it on the street, strip, circle track

Tell all of us thoughts on any of the head gaskets you have used on the poll

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
I prefer Rol High temp head gaskets they have worked good for me in the past on my small blocks with superchargers and Nitrus applications. even on my high compresion engines. the price is good. But as a second choice I would go with cometics cause of the thickness's they offer for machine work.

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
I've been using Rol Grafoil head gaskets. HG31170HR 4.345 bore .039 thick 9.47cc they also have a .045 thick 10.9cc. I have a 408BB and the price is right and never had a problem.
LOl we must have been typing at the same time :yes:

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
For the past 15 years I've used Fel Pro HP composition gaskets and had good luck with them. This past winters freshening I found one head gaskets fire ring (1027/1037) separated and distorted and partially blown with signs of leakage between cylinders.

I made the decision to try the Fel Pro MLS as I'm told their membrane covering is more compliant of rougher deck/head surfaces. I had a deck height issue and couldn't use the Fel Pro's as their thickness selction is pretty poor. I returned the Fel Pro MLS and went with the Cometics.

I had the block & heads resurfaced to the recommended finish, but still chose to copper coat the gaskets after a good friends Cometics leaked on initial fire up. Knock on wood mine sealed up fine from the get go.

Anyway, it's a totally different gasket to get used to after using compsosition gaskets for so long, but Cometics track record for high HP engines has been excellent.

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cometics, hundreds sold personally and no problems
myself, thats what i like also. We are building a 502 blower engine we were gonna use copper on and o ring it but we are gonna try the Cometic {already have them} and see how they work - Its a mild set up, street mostly

N/A i think Cometic or Fel-Pro MLS is the best

·
Registered
127 Posts
myself, thats what i like also. We are building a 502 blower engine we were gonna use copper on and o ring it but we are gonna try the Cometic {already have them} and see how they work - Its a mild set up, street mostly

N/A i think Cometic or Fel-Pro MLS is the best
Both Cometic and Fel Pro MLS gaskets are great.
I did hear about a few engine builders that had problems with the Cometic gaskets wanting to seal up.
It turns out that the builders where not putting a smooth enough finish on the blocks.
Problem solved.

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Both Cometic and Fel Pro MLS gaskets are great.
I did hear about a few engine builders that had problems with the Cometic gaskets wanting to seal up.
It turns out that the builders where not putting a smooth enough finish on the blocks.
Problem solved.
I would like some feedback on the SCE Titan ICS Copper Gaskets as copper gaskets have been good with silicone around the water and oil passages with o rings, The SCE Titan ICS they claim no coolant needed and no o rings needed, They use an Internal Combustion Seal BUT for a copper head gasket being so good i have yet to find anyone who has ran them - So if i was going with copper on anything i would use sealant and o ring it

Yes, if your machine shop cant give you the proper finish for Cometic or Fel-Pro MLS your done before you started

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
so only two of us like the Rol gaskets lol wow I have never tried the cometics but my builder wants me to go with .51 thick for extra valve clearence. Iam going to try and run .45thick so I may have to use the cometics like it or not we shall see since I switched to the new pistons Cstruab sold me he might let me use the thinner gasket.

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so only two of us like the Rol gaskets lol wow I have never tried the cometics but my builder wants me to go with .51 thick for extra valve clearence. Iam going to try and run .45thick so I may have to use the cometics like it or not we shall see since I switched to the new pistons Cstruab sold me he might let me use the thinner gasket.
Cometic will make the bore size and thickness you need

·
Registered
141 Posts
We tried the big block sce titan that have the sealant already on the copper. DID NOT SEAL. Called SCE. They sent me another set. The new ones had sealant already on them. It did not go all the way around the water holes! Called SCE. They said to copper coat them. So we could have just bought the cheaper copper without the sealant. Needless to say that is what we do now.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
I've been using basic Ferrea's forever on my 540. Never an issue. not fancy..but they are cheap and work great!

Just used the Fel Pro MLS on the recent 555" and they are pretty neat too with the sticky coating on them already.

JIM

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I will use anything from Cometics, including their seals. I can even call up, ask for a special thickness... no problem and no extra charge. They are great.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts