Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SS396 gauge cluster with tach installed, and the tach seems to work intermittently. I have the tach hooked up to the negative side of the coil (no MSD box at the moment) and the 12v wire has power. I'm thinking this is a grounding issue. I'm thinking about adding an additional ground to the gauge cluster to make sure it's grounded well. Any suggestions? It's a 69 Chevelle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It appears the ground connection is shared with the window wiper switch, which also has been giving me some issues. The wipers don't turn off right away, takes a couple more swings...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking about splicing into the grounds, and connecting it into the chassis. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
So this is a points distributor?

Run a dedicated ground from a mounting point on the back of the metal gauge "pan" in back of the dash to the emergency brake bracket, firewall grounding point etc. if you think you have a questionable ground.

You must also have a pigtail wire from the battery (-) to the fender to provide the main body ground.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So this is a points distributor?

Run a dedicated ground from a mounting point on the back of the metal gauge "pan" in back of the dash to the emergency brake bracket, firewall grounding point etc. if you think you have a questionable ground.

You must also have a pigtail wire from the battery (-) to the fender to provide the main body ground.

Checked all those, still being problematic. I'm thinking the tach might be giving me issues.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rest of the gauges work, fuel, oil pressure, and temp. The tach is the only gauge not working. Is there any wiring I could test to find out why?

I hooked up the tach to the negative side of the coil and a 12v ignition. Nothing. MSD box disconnected.

I hooked up the tach signal to the MSD box, and 12v ignition. Nothing.

I took the fuel ground, and hooked it up to the chassis. Nothing.

The wiring harness is grounded to the cluster, per the American auto wire instructions. Nothing.

I also have hooked up an additional ground from the cluster to the chassis. Nothing.

I'm really thinking the tach is toast. Strange thing is though, sometimes the tach comes on and starts randomly working while I'm driving. It's the only part of my gauge giving me issues, besides the windshield wiper switch.

Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
What type of distributor? I didn't see that in the reply.

If this is an unrestored factory tach installed as-is, there is the possibility it is non-functional. But, they are designed to work with points distributors.

Windshield wiper switch shares a common ground strap with the headlight switch.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What type of distributor? I didn't see that in the reply.

If this is an unrestored factory tach installed as-is, there is the possibility it is non-functional. But, they are designed to work with points distributors.

Windshield wiper switch shares a common ground strap with the headlight switch.

Thanks! Not original dash, aftermarket. I'm using a Edelbrock Distributer

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the diagram I'm looking at:

Where do people typically put the ground indicated in the diagram?

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Grounds can be attached in the factory style manner--

A self tapping screw that goes thru the dash carrier frame will work. Put a tooth'd washer between the dash frame and the harness ring terminal so as the screw tightens, the washer gets compressed and bites into both the frame and the ring terminal itself.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Grounds can be attached in the factory style manner--

A self tapping screw that goes thru the dash carrier frame will work. Put a tooth'd washer between the dash frame and the harness ring terminal so as the screw tightens, the washer gets compressed and bites into both the frame and the ring terminal itself.

Is it okay if I have more than one connection going to a ground location? I've got two going to the dash carrier frame..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts