Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best fitting headers of good quality for a 1969 Chevelle BBC?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Phil. Hedman Elites #68198. Installed them in 2011. Still look good. Fit well with no modifications. Passenger side went right in. Drivers side had to remove clutch bar and raise diver side of motor a few inches.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have Hooker Competition headers on mine, same engine as you car has.

If you don't mind I like to PM you with some engine related questions; if that's OK just let me know here or PM me.......I don't want to clutter up your thread.

·
Premium Member
12,727 Posts
The answer to that kind of depends. How much do you want to spend or can you afford to spend. If money is no object then the answer would be a custom made set of Lemon headers. If you want a nice set for reasonable money then the Head man's mentioned above are the way to go.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phil. Hedman Elites #68198. Installed them in 2011. Still look good. Fit well with no modifications. Passenger side went right in. Drivers side had to remove clutch bar and raise diver side of motor a few inches.
Can you get the oil filter on/off with these?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I second the Hedman elites, just installed the 68198 ceramic coated on 65 Chevelle BB this weekend, I trimmed about 3/8" off the rearward lower control arm mounts on both sides and they slide in like a glove with about 1/4" gap. no dinging or denting headers.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Lemons hands down. I've had many other brands and hands down the Lemons are the best. The ground clearance was over 1.25 inches better alone, zero clearance issues with steering shaft and so on

IMHO

John

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Lemons hands down. I've had many other brands and hands down the Lemons are the best. The ground clearance was over 1.25 inches better alone, zero clearance issues with steering shaft and so on

IMHO

John
^^^What he said, although mine are on my Nova not my El Camino.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Off the shelf, Hedmans all the way...Hookers are good as well, but the Hedman do not hang as low and give you a little more ground clearance. I run the Hedman #65002 and had them coated locally for a much nicer finish.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I had both 68198 and 65002 , no issues , fit like a glove both sets. i believe the 65002 do not clear the stock ac unit in the 69 car

·
Premium Member
12,727 Posts
best fitting pair of headers off the shelf with a 1 3/4" primaries/3" collector for a 68-72 big block Chevelle,auto or 4 speed is Summit part# SUM-G9010
That could be. They are also $300.00 cheaper than the Hedman's. However they are raw steel where the Hedman's are coated. I have the Hedman 68198 on my 69 big block and had zero problems with fitment, but I must say I had the luxury of setting them in the engine bay without the engine installed and lowered the engine in afterwards. I would recommend getting any raw steel headers coated as that keeps the headers from corroding and lowers under hood temperatures. Also I have heard some people swear by this paint or that paint for headers. As far as I know there is not a paint on this planet that will hold up to headers.

·
Premium Member
28,654 Posts
Around $1200
My 454 cost $2500 and my Summit headers were $79.95 :D

That could be. They are also $300.00 cheaper than the Hedman's. However they are raw steel where the Hedman's are coated.I would recommend getting any raw steel headers coated as that keeps the headers from corroding and lowers under hood temperatures. Also I have heard some people swear by this paint or that paint for headers. As far as I know there is not a paint on this planet that will hold up to headers.
I used black BBQ paint on my Summit headers,lasted the 10+ years I had them on the car until I reinstalled the exhaust manifolds.I stripped the "shipping" paint off of them, heated the tubes up with a torch and painted away.

I took this picture the day I removed them...

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts