Team Chevelle banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you guys suggest for a fire extinguisher for my drag car? I'm also looking for a good mounting system for it, such as brackets bolted to roll cage, etc. I'm not looking for a halon system for the engine compartment, or anything trick like that, but some thing that will get the job done in case my shiznit starts burning up. Thanks. :cool:

·
Registered
11,982 Posts
Any small extinguisher is good. I forget the size of the one I have but the bracket is held to the cage with hoseclamps. Basically it comes down to if it can't be put out with that or smothered with your fire jacket get away from the car. It's probably too big anyway.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
it kind of comes down to this Halon #10 with two outlets one to smother your lower body & one to keep your top free from flames so you can unbuckle yourself ...... then RUN !!! the whole idea is to get out of the car before the rescue crew even shows up !!!

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed that any kind of fire down track there is only so much you can do. But if caught early you can do something! Same thing with pits and staging lanes. It would be nice to have an extinguisher available there, as well.

·
Premium Member
4,988 Posts
I try to avoid halon for a car, the halon is heavier than air tends to sink, not exactly what you want in an engine compartment. It was invented for raised floor computer processing rooms -- it would sink and smother flames but not leave bunch of residue on delicate equipment.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not buying halon, so we can drop that topic. How about some mounting solutions? Anyone have any companies, or links they can post up. I'm trying to find something other than hose clamps, and crappy brackets to mount my extinguisher without spending an arm and a leg on it.

·
Super Moderator
13,353 Posts
Sean,
I would look at some of the chassis suppliers for brackets. Dont skimp on this one. Hopefully it never happens but if the car gets rolling etc, the extinguisher can become a pretty lethal projectile if it comes loose :(

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sean,
I would look at some of the chassis suppliers for brackets. Dont skimp on this one. Hopefully it never happens but if the car gets rolling etc, the extinguisher can become a pretty lethal projectile if it comes loose :(
Exactly. And that's why I'm interested in getting a good secure system for mounting a two pound missile. Great advice!!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Check this site out. http://www.safecraft.com/

Havn't had much time to post lately but I try to help out when I can. Lots of great members on this site with a lot of great info and practical experience.

Mike

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Your best laid plans will disappear as soon as you catch fire.

Avoiding fire should be your #1 priority.

Good brakes should be #2.

Going fast is no where near as important as #1 and#2.

Grotesque skin grafts are not attractive to most women!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Being safe and getting your butt out of a burning car is priority but there is one thing about the ABC extinguishers everyone needs to know - Once you use one to put out a fire inside the car or engine compartment ALL and I mean ALL electronic components utilizing PCB's ( not incased in epoxy ) will be destroyed. What do you have against the Halon systems? Just wondering.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you discharge halon in your passenger compartment you will immediately have to exit the vehicle because all oxygen will be displaced. If you don't vent the passenger compartment you be one dead sucka. :p

Now, let's say you're in a roll-over situation, and your still in your harness. The car has caught fire and you have flames in the passenger compartment. You are not able to release from your harness and exit in time to avoid the flames, as the door's jammed. You spray your halon because you are burning. Now you're sitting in a void with no oxygen, and you have about a minute before you sufficate (probably less because your heart rate is up, and you are burning your own supply of oxygen at a rapid pace).

Just a scenario I went through in making my decision.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Sean..... you do have a point ... you can't inhale halon ... but last time I checked you couldn't inhale flames or super heated air ....either
setting off the fire system is a LAST chance to save your BUTT !!!
I want that extra minute :thumbsup:

·
Registered
666 Posts
If you discharge halon in your passenger compartment you will immediately have to exit the vehicle because all oxygen will be displaced. If you don't vent the passenger compartment you be one dead sucka.
I use a fresh air system to my helmet and my car does not have windows (IMCA modified)... :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts