Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i am convinced that i need to swap my stock fan clutch on my 70 ss 396 for a 'flex fan." is there a particular brand or model i should choose for everyday driving?

i would like one that bolts right in, not interested in a lot of change.

just trying to keep engine temp cooler at idle and when a/c is on.

currently runs at 209 but has been reaching 235 with a/c on at idle (too hot you tell me)

suggestions?

(great column & people!)

·
Registered
648 Posts
i use one of the summit flex fans, the broad one, with a spacer. i think you'll be happy with it if you have a cowl to direct the air flow. my BB never gets over 210. what thermostat and mix of coolant are you using? good luck, john

·
Registered
196 Posts
I used a heavy duty flex fan before and I hated it. Cooled my engine fine but put a lot of drag on the engine. Also at about 3500 and on it would make a load like whining noise from moving so much air. I gave the fan away I hated it. Mabey it was the size I used 20inch or so barely fit in the fan shroud. Mabey you could do what I plan to do run a heavy duty fan clutch then buy a electric and hook it up that when you turn on your ac the fan will come on. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
DAVID IN GA. Some questions first, Do you have a fan shroud? Is it the correct one for your engine? Do you have the correct fan blade for an a/c car, it usually has more blades. I recommend the correct thermal clutch for your application, they usually lock up at around 160 deg, your's may be defective. A thermal clutch is a little more than a centrifugal one, but it will run quieter and will do a better job. My .02 cents.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017

·
Registered
341 Posts
Maybe your fan clutch is worn out, replace it with a new GM piece as some aftermarket pieces are not the same quality. I spent a lot of time any money before replacing my NEW aftermarket fan clutch with the real thing.

------------------
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Chevelle Club of Michigan
Livonia, Michigan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.