Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i figure this topic would get me a wide variety of answers/opinions. before anyone says magnaflow please let me say this: i have been trying to get a magnaflow 3" exhaust for my car (pt# 15898) for over a month and a half now and have received 4 different exhausts from summit and all have been identical with the exact same problem. the first kit i received just simply did not fit at all; the head pipes i know are a trim to fit, but the rest of the exhaust hung way too low, the pipes coming from the x were too long, the u-bends that go over the rear end were too long causing them to hit the gas tank upper contol arms etc,. i completely understand that some things require some trimming/modification but this exhaust says direct-fit not custom-fit. i called magnaflow to ask what i should do and the rep i spoke to asked me to e-mail him some pics of the problems i was having. the next day the magnaflow rep called me back and said that i had received an "older" kit and that it had been revised due to fitment problems and all i needed to do was return it for a more recently manufactured kit. i have since received 3 kits which are all after the date he told me it was revised and all have had the same problem. then yesterday i was told that even though the exhaust had been revised that they are currently out of stock and will not be manufacturing any more for another 4-6 weeks!! i really wanted to run a magnaflow exhaust but i am getting quite fed up with all of this. has anyone else ever had this problem with magnaflow? i figured with as big of a forum as this is some of yall could give me some advice as to what works/sounds good. thanks to those who took the time to read this.

donald

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
I wouldn't do Pypes 3" in a Chevelle...at least not the tailpipes. Do a search and save yourself aggravation (that I'm still going though)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
What do you mean by don't run 3" pipes on a Chevelle.I bought 1 3/4 headers,cut off the flange at the bottom,installed stainless band clamps, like the ones on Peterbuilts,made the 3" exhaust from there back with an X-pipe and dump it just past the rearend.Fits real nice.I used Force mufflers.I know they are a whole lot cheeper than Magnaflows or Flowmasters ,but I like the "different" sound.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
What do you mean by don't run 3" pipes on a Chevelle.I bought 1 3/4 headers,cut off the flange at the bottom,installed stainless band clamps, like the ones on Peterbuilts,made the 3" exhaust from there back with an X-pipe and dump it just past the rearend.Fits real nice.I used Force mufflers.I know they are a whole lot cheeper than Magnaflows or Flowmasters ,but I like the "different" sound.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
Don't run 3" PYPES brand tail pipes.

·
Registered
199 Posts
check this link to read my experience with the magnaflow kit http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124435
if I could return it I would, but unfortunately I bought it off some dead beat e-bay vendor with a strick 60 day return policy. I have bought many aftermarket parts over the years but this was by far the worst fitting part I have ever recieved.
Lesson learned: don;t buy from e-bay vendors to try and save a buck - summit racing's return policy and customer service is second to none.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
This is what I would do.

Either get a 3" headpipe/Xpipe combo from your choice of vendor, then run 2.5" muffs and tailpipes for better fit/quieter/cheaper.

Or, if you must have 3" tailpipes (which have no effect on HP vs 2.5" - it has been proven) get the Flowmaster 3" system, which has an "H", less the muffs. Price is right and never heard a bad thing about the fit/finish of the Flowmaster systems.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for all the advice everyone. decided today to piece it all together and just build it myself. ordered hedman 3" pipe kit with x-pipe, magnaflows, and flowmaster tailpipe sections. this weekend should be the telltale of how my heinz 57 exhaust system will turn out.

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts

·
Vendor
242 Posts
69, I see your still holding a grudge on those tails.
Without better pictures, I can't see what caused the fit problems. Wide tires? Muffler position? suspension mods? Not sure. However, these pics are of a typical 3" installation with no dinging, scraping and good ground clearance. If everyones Pypes 3" tails fit like your experience, we wouldn't be in business anymore. :(

70 Chevelle http://www.pypesexhaust.com/gallery66.html
72 Chevelle http://www.pypesexhaust.com/gallery28.html

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.