Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 66Elky, the only problem is it has a 230 in it with a vega 4 speed, and I would like to swap to a small block with automatic. I have 2 possible donor cars, a 77 Caprice with a 305 (it runs) and a 69 Impala with a 327 (apart for a burnt valve) that needs completely rebuilt. Which motor and tranny is the most viable? I don't plan on street racing, just need more power on hills.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The 230 will have more power than a smogged out 77 305. If it doesn't I bet it's close. I would opt to rebuild the 327...but another solution would be a GM targetmaster 350 or similar crate motor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea what a crate 350 is going for these days? I had a 327 in my '55 a few years ago, and it had plenty of get up and go. Either donor car I can get for $500 for the whole car. I was also looking at the tilt wheel and possibly disc brakes on the 77. Any ideas?

·
Registered
227 Posts
What tranny does the 69 impala have? I would look to pull the engine and trans out of the impala and rebuild both for your el camino. Then part out the rest of the impala and recoup some money.

I have seen some crate 350s from anywhere from $1000 - $5000. Guys.... Isn't the targetmaster 350 around $1100 or so ? Check your local GM dealership. There are also some GM parts houses online.

www.sallee-chevrolet.com
www.paceparts.com/
www.scoggindickey.com/

Hope this helps !

·
Registered
994 Posts
Sallee Chevrolet sells a long block for $1295 PN 10067353 and up depending on the package you want. If you plan on keeping it for a long time then I'd get a complete package like the ZZ4/355HP or their Vortec Power Xtreme 4X4 350 PN 12520283-vortec. The Vortec 350 has a bundle of torque where as the 355hp is most widely used in mild street rods.

------------------
"Like-em-All" "Help-em-All"
"Race-em-All" "Lose-a-Lot"
"Always faster at the work bench"

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 08-09-99).]

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'd probably go with the 69 and the 327. Burnt valve isn't hard to fix with the engine on the floor. Pretty good engines although not quite the power of the earlier ones. The 305 in the 77 isn't much of an engine. Deciding factor might be which one has the tranny you want. tom
Well heck; Guess I need to "read the damn question" better. Since the 327 needs rebuilt the crate engine might be the best route. I think a base 350 is about 1200 or slightly less these days. Hard to beat that. tom

[This message has been edited by tom3 (edited 08-09-99).]

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd have to go a 327 over a 305 anyday of the week.
Don't know if I would just do the heads though. Hate to have it on the stand, redo the heads and install, then find out that it has a bearing or ring problem.
Crate motors here in Calif. go for about $1300.00 from the local Chevy dealership or as low as $900.00 from the jipo engine rebuilders.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Forget the 305 exists, GM should have never built that thing. If you want to save money and still have a decent motor rebuild the 327. Sounds like you are on a budget. If you can stomach a few more bucks the standard GM 350 is inexpensive and has a 3/36,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for your inputs. I AM on a budget. I just "inherited" a 17 year old step-son. I've rebuilt a few 327's before. The only problem is the 327 has a Powerglide with it!! I think I'll go with the 327 and take my time since the Elky is "sort of road worthy" with the 230 right now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just found out the 69 with the 327 has a TH350 and not the Powerglide like I ASSUMED. That made up my mind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.