Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car someone suggest really good engine paint? I am tired of the junkie pep-boys/auto-zone chevy orange. That stuff looks great for a while then fades and doesnt hold it's shine. I just painted my frame and firewall/suspension with por-15 and they offer a engine painting kit. If the results are the same as my frame did Im sold just dont know anyone who has used it before. Any suggestions?
thanks, 72ss 454 conv

·
Super Moderator
12,782 Posts
Steven,
We have had very good luck with engine paints made by a company called "Seymour". Thier paints seem to cover very nicely and also hold up real good. The key to getting a good job is the same as any other paint job, preparation. It is very difficult to get an engine really clean before painting. Even when starting with a new, clean block you still get oil on it while assembling the motor. If you can stand the smell, prime the block with zinc cromate marine primer while it is still clean. That will help the paint stick even better. If you are going to paint the motor black, the Mercruiser marine black engine paint is about as bullet proof as you can get.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have used the POR-15 engine paint of a couple of engines and it works really well... It is a royal pain to do an engine with because you have to base it then put the engine paint on. The engine paint is a tad on the thin side but two coats and it's done. I have one engine with with about 10,000 miles and it still looks excellent.

One Thing... Like BillK said... make sure it is as clean as you can possibly get it and then some. If there is any "goop" on the block it will turn out poorly... No matter what you use.

Hope it helps.

------------------
The proud owner of a Canadian 64-SS with ZZ4 Power!
Team Chevelle Gold Member #37
Canadian Classic Chevelles & Beaumonts Member #350
WebSite http://www.magma.ca/~ssoltesz/steves/1964.htm

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've used POR-15 on the last 4 engines I've rebuilt. Really good color after a few coats. They also have a good selection of colors.
I spray brake cleaner on the surfaces (block, heads, intake, small parts) before I apply the first coat. I haven't applied any type of primer before the color coat and it seems to hold up really well.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Steven,

I know what you mean about the paints not keeping there luster.

I'm trying something with my new engine.

After cleaning it I painted it with the Plasi Kote High Heat Orange, then I painted everything ( except Chrome) with the Plasti Kote High Heat Clear. ( hoses, clamps, intake manifold)

I'll let you know how it holds up in a couple months. I also do not plan to use the strong engine cleaners. I plan to use as mild a soap as possible when I clean it as it's those strong cleaners that ruin the luster.

my .02
Bill

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you want your engine paint to look good year after year POR15 is the way to go. I did mine 4 years ago and it still looks like it did the day(s) I painted it. The spray can types do lose their gloss but the POR15 doesn't. The Canuck has it right - it is more work to do and Coach has done it four times - probably not because it sucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.