Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best engine big or small for the money to build? I want to achieve horsepower in the 525 range on motor only while being light weight.

I have no ac or heat with an electric fan and probably electric water and fuel pump on this motor.

My plan is to break the 10.99 mark in my daily driven 72 nova.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its not possible to build a "lightweight" "budget" motor that makes over 500 naturally asperated horsepower. 450 is mildly reasonable but your not going to hit 525 in a naturally asperated small block without a good deal of cash. You may want to look for some more traction to go along with a 450hp motor to get into the 10's. or just go big block and you can probably get into the 600hp range on a budget if you keep your eye open for some cheap (low price) components. If you are set on lightweight and are willing to shell out some extra cash you could go with a world block and make it a 427 or a 454 or similar. then with good compontents you can hit 525

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
a mild 454 with 250 hp of spray!

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
2-bolt main big block (250), ebay 4130 Eagle 4.25" stroke crank (400), Scat Pro Series rods (300), 781 heads with big valves, etc. (750). Valvetrain depends on budget, but I'd look hard at a hydraulic roller, can be done with new Speed Pro lifters, reasonable cam, etc. for about $750, intake (150) and good carb (400) puts you at $3K before any machine work and all the other crap that nickel and dimes you to death. Expect to be at $5K if you're a good budget parts shopper. If you have time, you can watch fleabay and catch some real bargains, but you gotta be careful - there's screwin' aplenty there. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Check out RacingJunk.com (for some reason the board won'tlet me direct-link) for some deals. Found my motor turn key for a little bit more then just a set of heads.

As far as what to geti, I was a believer in "There's no replacement for displacement". But that's just me.

Chris

·
Registered
845 Posts
DON'T TELL ME IT DOESN'T WORK GUYS CAUSE ITS WORKING NOW:D

Kragen built budget short block 355 SBC,bought off friend brand new $500
142 mini-blower $1600(177 weiand blower is $300 more and can make 600hp!)
DART S/S 165 heads $660 shipped to my door
Summit 224/[email protected] cam 114 LSA and comp magnum lifters $150
Extra parts lying around I.E: headers,mufflers,valve covers,oil pan ect. FREE!

I honestly have maybe 3500 into it and it runs great and the rings/piston combo aren't the best for boost but for only 5psi they are fine especially for only hitting 5500rpms max it will live for awhile. Its doing good so for. KNOCK ON WOOD.;) going off GTEC runs,experience and desk top dyno its an honest 460hp and you can always run more boost and timing plus race gas and hit 500hp.

Alot of you guys have great combos that work! Theres alot of good ones out there and ones that will last.....unlike mine probobly:clonk:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts