Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to have my car repainted and want to make sure that the type of paint and clear coat that the body shop is planning to use is a good high quality product.

They are planning to use a polyester base coat by Sherwin Williams and a clear coat by Matrix.

Are these what I want or should I insist on something better?

Randy

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Im not a S-W fan at all but know guys that like it. Have heard good stuff on the Matrix but never tried it. Why are they not using the S-W clear or Matrix base? Personally I wouldnt want to mix products. I'd use all Matrix or S-W if you can.

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
I mixed Matrix clear on a project 2 years ago and had reaction problems. As I have read so many good things about SPI I may use it next. A good friend of mine tried S-W in his body shop and had all kinds of problems.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Micky wrote:

Why are they not using the S-W clear or Matrix base? Personally I wouldn't want to mix products.
This guy says he's used everything and this is what he likes best based on his experience.

I figure since he's the one that's got to warranty the job, he should be pick the paints that he likes the best.

What I really want to know if anyone thinks that SW or Matrix are somehow inferior to other brands. Otherwise, I'll let them use what they recommend. Otherwise, they could use the excuse later that I specified different materials that they usually use.

Randy

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
Randy I think you are at a point you do not want to have questions or be uncomfortable. Take your time and do some more research. Once the decision is made turning back is very expensive.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Never mix,, Did I say NEVER MIX. Matrix clear is not top of the line. It's not bad but I'd sure as hell not mix it with another manufacturers base.
I've sprayed all of them but Diamont. Whoever that is.
Dupont is good... Rock hard paint. Sprayed it for about 9 yrs.
S-W Ultra 7000 is awesome. You can wait up to 7 days to spray the clear a tech told me. S-W DC 5000 is pretty decent too and compatible with the base at a reasonable price.
PPG is good but too particular to reaction from anthing in the environment.

I'd shoot S-W all day and never worry about a issue.
Dupont will make me charge more as it takes more work to color sand and buff.

Just my 2 cents. If they won't cooperate, get another shop , it just aint worth the effort to have the paint fail early due to some dumn ass cutting corners by buying cheap ass clear.

Randy B
paint and resto 20+
69 SS 468 4spd Black
67 RS/SS 350 4spd

·
Registered
245 Posts
We never intermix any brands for the reason if there is a reaction no company will warrant the other brand. We use Glasurit in my shop only, if there is any issues its Glasurit all the way through from epoxy, 2K primer, sealer BC/CC or single-stage to the High solids clearcoat they will stand behind there product the other companies are good but choose a top of the line product that will be there for you and the same across the board. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
I have been sraying Diamont/RM/Glasurit (All the same company BASF) for over twenty years and have never had a problem i did not cause myself. I have also sprayed Dupont/SW/spies just to name a few and none compare to the above.

Also whatever you choose. Stick with the same brand product from bare metal prep to clear. Mixing products just because the clear is cheaper(etc) is a recipe for disaster.

I believe BASF is the only company offering a direct to metal primer now. The others need an etch before the primer.

Good luck

·
Registered
13,007 Posts
PPG also has a DTM primer. Stick with a good clear. Matrix=cheap. If this is a car you're going to show and keep, spend the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ for name brand products. Diamont is good, PPG, or a Dupont line. I've also had good success with Transtar clearcoats. They spray nice and buff well also. I use it on my cheap daily driver stuff. Seems to hold up pretty well.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'll insist that he use the SW clear since he likes SW paint so much. I doubt he'll have a problem with that.

Thanks for the tips guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.