Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, all this talk about cars getting stolen is makin me paranoid as hell. What are some good tricks you guys, in your infinite wisdom
, use to keep the worthless, need their hands among other things cut off bastards from stealin your ride? Or what are some good anti-theft products I should look into? Car thieves SUCK!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
948 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
I rigged up a lock for my hood. I know that Gene Chas (I think) has an artical in the tech archives about some fancy ass lock that he bought, which would probably work better than what I made, but hey, i'm on a tight budget and mine looks real stock. What I did was take three square nuts, drill out the threads, (a piece of pipe would be better but I had none the right size), Then I found a nice long bolt the right length, drilled a couple holes in the head. Then I Mounted it to my hood latch. Took an 8' choke cable, mounted it on my dash, strung it around the fender to the bolt, looped it through the holes in the head of the bolt, and PRESTO, instant hood lock.

Chris

·
Registered
79 Posts
Unfortunatly nothing is fool(theft)proof. My setup consists of a hood lock which is simular to the idea in the archives, only mine is done with a cable for ease of installation. It can be cut rather easily though, but it might discourage someone from opening my hood uninvited.

My setup also consists of no exterior trunk lock at all, the hole is welded shut and smoothed over. Its opened on remote solenoid. My battery and starter solenoid are in the trunk, and I have a toggle switch for the ignition to solenoid wire. Pop the trunk, flip the switch, close the trunk. Car won't start w/ key. I also have a on/off switch to the main starter wire.. but its only for shutting the power off in emergencies.

No door handles helps some. But if someone wanted in the car, they could easily go through the window, and if they want the car, they could just toss it on a trailer.

You just gotta hope luck is rolling your way.

Wes

W

·
0 Posts
One of the conditions of the classic car insurance I bought requires you to keep the car in a garage. I have that, lots of people don't. I like the things Wes has done and would add a switch to open or better yet ground out the ignition if it is the point type.

There is one other think that works well if you are lucky enough to catch the thief in action, a Springfield 1911 A1 .45 loaded and ready to rock! I keep several for these scum bags, so far no problem!

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
My dad has a ' 86 Silverado 4x4, factory hugger orange, it was special ordered. They installed a kill switch on it, so if you park it, you flip the switch, it kills all power to the distributor.It'll turn over and over, but no fire.That won't help if they have a roll back now, but it helps his piece of mind when they drive it anywhere out of town.Just a thought, Radio Shack has the toggle switches for cheap!

------------------

·
Registered
5 Posts
a couple of years ago i read an article in a car mag. It was about a way to toggle an off/on switch if you have an electric fuel pump. Giving the car as much gas as whats in the carb basically. Hopefully giving you enough time to get betsy. And remember.... "he said he was going to kill me" Just keep paroting that back to the cops, and keep the details as simple and vague as possible. Don't deviate from your initial story either, no matter what they try saying to you. Happy hunting

·
Registered
283 Posts
A good one is your other car/truck. What I mean is if I'am going anywhere where the Elk,Camaro,Vett is going to be outta my direct line of sight or not have my skinny butt in it,I take the ol 3/4 ton truck. It's ulgly enough that I'am sure that's going to be where I left it.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model
69 Chevelle coupe
71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette
71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a toggle switch under the dash on my Vette which has to be on for the ignition to work; the key is only to crank the starter. I also carry in the glove box of my cars a coil wire that has the insides pulled out of it. Looks just like the correct coil wire but the motor sure won't run.

------------------
Bob (Creedmoor,N.C.)
65 Vette B&M Blown, Richmond 5-speed
68 Malibu B&M Blown, Turbo 350 10" converter

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,651 Posts
In addition to ignition kill switch and hood lock, I have used (when parked outdoors overnight once a year) a bicycle cable type lock run through a slot on a front wheel and around the spindle to hopefully discourage a "tow away" theft. Hopefully the cable would lock up the wheel before the cable breaks. If nothing else, the appearance might prevent an attempt. von

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Chris, it wasn't me, it was Wes in tech that put up the hood lock trick. I'm seriuosly considering it. Check Tech Reference. I've also read an article many moons ago about using microswitches , tiny little switches, which are easy to conceal. I'm urgently going to research this over the winter ( storage season here in Buffalo)and apply what I find.

The trick with such things is that you don't want to broadcast your trick all across the web. It's a totally public forum remember. Maybe it can be an added benefit in the "members only" section for authorized users only. If any of you EE types have any neat suggestions, maybe we can set up a private area, password protected, to share thoughts.

Whaddya' think Al?

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 09-24-99).]

·
Registered
158 Posts
"The Club" works great and is guaranteed by the manufacturer. Plus it's a low cost highly secure option. I use it and have had no problems.

------------------
Bob
Merrimack, NH
TC Gold Member #169
N.E. Chevelle & El Camino Assoc. #085
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Anybody ever thought of brake solenoid wired to another battery like say a trunk mounted? That way, even if they did want to tow it, they would have to jack it up and put dollies under the wheels which = lots of time. Just a thought.

------------------
Joe Y.
68 malibu
Bloomington/Normal, IL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine is either in the locked garage....or when it's out it's never out of my sight...or I leave my wife or 14 year old son standing guard duty. Who would want a restored 64 Chevelle Malibu SS anyway?

·
Registered
174 Posts
well they are all leagal ways but if the guy gets cought he will be in jail maybe a month i say if you hear your car or notice something have your trusty gun ready and shoot the asses!!!
maybe it is a little way out there but damn the less there is the better
PS when shooting don't shott the crap out of your car defeats the purpose of saving the car!!!

------------------
OWNER OF A 66 CHEVELLE MALIBU
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/nascar97/Chevelle.html page about the progress on my resto. still being made

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a setup like Mad Max in the Road Warrior - if someone starts the car without flipping the toggle switch first, the car explodes. That way I know if someone's trying to steal it so I can call the cops.

Really though, I have a toggle switch on the back of the shifter console (up against the bench where you can't really see it) that's inline with the neutral lockout switch, and a battery disconnect switch on the battery (which isn't all that useful without a hood lock), and I've pulled two plug wires out before - left them in place on the distributor but pulled out until they weren't making contact.

There's a little ritual I have to go through also because the neutral safety switch doesn't quite work right too. I have to place a butter knife in between the contacts of the switch and pull them away from each other before the car will start. It's really a bug, but it's also working for me as something additional that someone would have to do to steal it.

I've heard of using line locks to lockup the brakes, also.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ignition kill and fuel kill, if they figure out the ignition, they can't get far on the fuel in bowls. And park it in the garage

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ignition kill and fuel kill, if they figure out the ignition, they can't get far on the fuel in bowls.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.