Team Chevelle banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi everyone...Happy Holidays!

So here's the deal...I bought and installed a Comp XE/274 hyd. cam/lifter kit in my 350 on a 67 Chevelle.

Since I still have it tore down I decided to swap the iron heads with a good set of Aluminums. I'm running a dual plane intake with Holley 650 mech. secondary and MSD pro billet dist. with separate coil. Lower end is unknown since I just bought the car. Not sure if I need angle or straight plugs and really need good advice on what particular header to go with and what will fit...part # please if possible for those running this combo in their 67's.

I was looking at Skip White's NKB 272's along with AFR and Edelbrock RPM's but feel I will be bound to a particular version due to the cam I'm using (hyd. flat tappet) and what header will work.
I ran skip white Nkb's on a 350 and they performed well but a 200cc head really is some to big for a 350 .
They are a very good deal but unfortunately they dont offer a head with smaller runners.
I'm currently reworking that motor and will be putting afr 195 heads on it.
On a 327 with that cam I'd be looking at the afr 180 eliminator heads .
Those heads flow 260cfm @ 500 lift and the low lift flow numbers which are as or more important flow very well relative to many if not all other aftermarket heads .
You dont want too large a runner for the cubic inches and in this case
Smaller = better and quicker .
More velocity versus volume .
Is it a small or large journal 327?
I've got a 67 327 block that is small journal.
The earlier 327's were small journal but I'm not sure what year . I'm pretty sure 67 was the last year for small journal.
Anyway small or large journal I personally wouldn't put anything bigger than 180 cc head on that motor.
Good luck in your quest.
That hunk of iron block is a piece of classic sbc history!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I ran skip white Nkb's on a 350 and they performed well but a 200cc head really is some to big for a 350 .
They are a very good deal but unfortunately they dont offer a head with smaller runners.
I'm currently reworking that motor and will be putting afr 195 heads on it.
On a 327 with that cam I'd be looking at the afr 180 eliminator heads .
Those heads flow 260cfm @ 500 lift and the low lift flow numbers which are as or more important flow very well relative to many if not all other aftermarket heads .
You dont want too large a runner for the cubic inches and in this case
Smaller = better and quicker .
More velocity versus volume .
Is it a small or large journal 327?
I've got a 67 327 block that is small journal.
The earlier 327's were small journal but I'm not sure what year . I'm pretty sure 67 was the last year for small journal.
Anyway small or large journal I personally wouldn't put anything bigger than 180 cc head on that motor.
Good luck in your quest.
That hunk of iron block is a piece of classic sbc history!
Good points. Take a look at my last post. Now that I've discovered I actually have a 355 should I still be looking at runners smaller than 200? I was considering AFR 195 eliminators with 64cc chambers and having the springs changed to work with my hyd. flat tappet 274 cam.

·
Premium Member
6,797 Posts
I would simply get a set of brodix IK 180, buy from wolfplace aka Mike Lewis. He can have them ordered with correct springs for your cam. He is also afr dealer if you want afr.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I pulled a 389 Pontiac that was ticking like crazy. everything checked out though. As soon as I pulled the valley pan I saw what was going on. The previous owner used that blue stuff and it was all through the engines oil ducts slowing the flow. I cleaned it all out using speedo cables and flushing..
I never used that stuff and never will..

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Yeah I noticed that when I pulled the head. I'll be cleaning and inspecting the others tomorrow. The heads are sold to the shop so now I need advice on what the best all around set for my application would be.
Investigate why there was piston/valve contact before you put the new heads on and run it. You aren't that far from removing the engine. Might be worth a look at the bottom end while you're this far. Just a thought.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

·
Registered
92 Posts
Good points. Take a look at my last post. Now that I've discovered I actually have a 355 should I still be looking at runners smaller than 200? I was considering AFR 195 eliminators with 64cc chambers and having the springs changed to work with my hyd. flat tappet 274 cam.
I think i know what your thinking lol
Your leaning toward bigger because perhaps you figure bigger equates with faster .
Bigger better faster MORE lol
Somtimes that isnt the case .
To simplify it think of a vacuum cleaner .
A vacuum cleaner with a medium sized motor (like the a 355 cubic engine in this case ) . Put the smaller 1/2 inch nozzle on the end of the vacuum . What does it do ?
Its suction is very good . Why is it good ?
It's good because the medium sized motor in the vacuum cleaner creates enough velocity to create alot of suction .
Now put a 2.5 inch nozzle on the vacuum cleaner. What does it do ? You know the answer . Anyone does.
You want an ample ammount of velocity and with a 355 cubic inch engine the 180 cc is an awesome marriage made in heaven lol
Look at the most baddass small block engines gm spit out back in the day . Look at the size of the runners . (Cc) all smaller than 180 .
I noticed another guy on here recommended your using the 180cc brodix heads. Although I had recommended afr I'd agree with him as well because when you get into that quality and caliber of heads they are pretty close enough .
Brodix afr dart .
I personally like the afr heads.
Tomato tomoto.
But the 180cc heads are the way to go on that engine. If you can afford it put the afr 180's on that engine and that thing will ge it like a mother fo !!! Lol
I'd run and air gap intake on it WITHOUT the cut out and quite a bit more carb than that 650 .
Hope this helps.
Sometimes its SMALLER better faster more !
That cam you got was the right choice for that engine I'm my very humble opinion lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I think i know what your thinking lol
Your leaning toward bigger because perhaps you figure bigger equates with faster .
Bigger better faster MORE lol
Somtimes that isnt the case .
To simplify it think of a vacuum cleaner .
A vacuum cleaner with a medium sized motor (like the a 355 cubic engine in this case ) . Put the smaller 1/2 inch nozzle on the end of the vacuum . What does it do ?
Its suction is very good . Why is it good ?
It's good because the medium sized motor in the vacuum cleaner creates enough velocity to create alot of suction .
Now put a 2.5 inch nozzle on the vacuum cleaner. What does it do ? You know the answer . Anyone does.
You want an ample ammount of velocity and with a 355 cubic inch engine the 180 cc is an awesome marriage made in heaven lol
Look at the most baddass small block engines gm spit out back in the day . Look at the size of the runners . (Cc) all smaller than 180 .
I noticed another guy on here recommended your using the 180cc brodix heads. Although I had recommended afr I'd agree with him as well because when you get into that quality and caliber of heads they are pretty close enough .
Brodix afr dart .
I personally like the afr heads.
Tomato tomoto.
But the 180cc heads are the way to go on that engine. If you can afford it put the afr 180's on that engine and that thing will ge it like a mother fo !!! Lol
I'd run and air gap intake on it WITHOUT the cut out and quite a bit more carb than that 650 .
Hope this helps.
Sometimes its SMALLER better faster more !
That cam you got was the right choice for that engine I'm my very humble opinion lol
So I noticed today while cleaning that every intake valve had made contact with each piston in the relief cut area. Looks like he went way oversize on them...2.05+
Question...are these pistons ok since I'll be going with a small valve 2.02 and different heads?
I don't want this to turn into an entire rebuild...ugggh

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
So I noticed today while cleaning that every intake valve had made contact with each piston in the relief cut area. Looks like he went way oversize on them...2.05+
Question...are these pistons ok since I'll be going with a small valve 2.02 and different heads?
I don't want this to turn into an entire rebuild...ugggh
If theres no structural damage to the piston itll be alright. If there are ridges sand then off . . You buy that engine running in a car ?
What car are you puttin this motor in ?

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Here's my thoughts. Solid cam, big valves, probably over revved it and resulted in valve/piston contact and the cause of cracked rocker arms. Possibly the reason it ran like crap, was bent valve or valves. The previous builder never checked valve to piston clearance. The new cam has lower lift and new heads have smaller valves. (both good things) You COULD tape off the entire deck/lifter valley, bring the pistons up to tdc two at a time and cut out the tape just around the where the valve hit the piston. then take a right angle air tool with a sanding disc and dress the intake eyebrows where they made contact down to the depth of the original eyebrow. Clean well before moving on to the next set. Check valve to piston clearance with new cam and heads.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
If theres no structural damage to the piston itll be alright. If there are ridges sand then off . . You buy that engine running in a car ?
What car are you puttin this motor in ?
Pistons appear to be ok. Yes this motor was running in the car when I bought it. Previous owner claimed motor/trans was built 2k miles ago. I call bull on that...or else he simply didn't make the right calculations we he assembled these heads???
Makes sense now why it ran like crap when I bought it...idled good however lol.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Pistons appear to be ok. Yes this motor was running in the car when I bought it. Previous owner claimed motor/trans was built 2k miles ago. I call bull on that...or else he simply didn't make the right calculations we he assembled these heads???
Makes sense now why it ran like crap when I bought it...idled good however lol.
That's ok . Long as you thought it right .
What's the car ?

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Just spoke with an AFR tech. His recommendation (given all the information I have now) was this...

Sure great heads but would I pay almost 2x for a street machine? Probably not. Nothing wrong with cast aluminum heads for the street especially if they are AFR to boot

61 - 80 of 96 Posts