Team Chevelle banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone...Happy Holidays!

So here's the deal...I bought and installed a Comp XE/274 hyd. cam/lifter kit in my 350 on a 67 Chevelle.

Since I still have it tore down I decided to swap the iron heads with a good set of Aluminums. I'm running a dual plane intake with Holley 650 mech. secondary and MSD pro billet dist. with separate coil. Lower end is unknown since I just bought the car. Not sure if I need angle or straight plugs and really need good advice on what particular header to go with and what will fit...part # please if possible for those running this combo in their 67's.

I was looking at Skip White's NKB 272's along with AFR and Edelbrock RPM's but feel I will be bound to a particular version due to the cam I'm using (hyd. flat tappet) and what header will work.

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
hi
the AFR Eliminator 195 street ver. will most likely make the most power.
Go with the Ede RPM 185cc heads next
1 5/8 headers

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
To get the best results, you usually you do it the other way around. Get the heads first, then match the cam to the head flow, compression ratio, rear axle ratio and intended usage, so it all works together

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My question was more towards what will work for my car as far as either angle or straight plug and which headers will best fit without clearance issues. I understand the combination needed. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
I’d look into these Trick Flow heads. My son has a set and they run well.

As far as headers go we’ve been through multiple sets in recent years, and these fit best.

I cut it off in the picture a little bit, but they’re made by Hedman.

Devin

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have any pics showing them installed so I can see plug clearance? I was considering the same headers but didn't know if they would work with straight plugs to.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I just put a set of those on a 406 with AFR straight plug heads. I had to "dimple # 5 tube for plug wire clearance. Not sure on steering shaft clearance as it's not installed yet

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
use the Trickflow 175cc retro heads with 60cc chamber for compression
Yes, if you have flat top pistons, that cam might need more compression / smaller chamber. Trick Flow also has a 175 head with a 56 cc chamber. Research and do your homework on this for the best results.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Is that in fact a 327? I don't see the canister holes in the block. Possibly World Product heads on there now? What is the casting # and engine suffix code on the front pad?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just ran the casting number...

3970014...350...2/4 bolt...70-76

Not surprised. The more I dig the more I find that was never mentioned...or misrepresented. Unclear on head identification though. Unless the casting number is under a guide plate that I cannot see?

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Finding out you have a 350 isn't a bad thing ( more cubes) and I won't tell anybody. If it was supposed to be original when you bought it, that sucks. When you get the heads off, check the bore and stroke, even with a ruler if you have to. A 350 will be 4" bore and 3 1/2" (roughly) stroke. A 350 will swallow up more of that cam and make it more streetable. Check on here for advice before you buy anymore parts. You'll get some good advice from people who have BTDT and made the usual mistakes ( to big of a cam, wrong heads, wrong axle ratio, wrong compression etc)

1 - 20 of 96 Posts