Team Chevelle banner

Best 4 post lift for the money

972 Views 32 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  MFortie
I am thinking seriously of installing a 4-post lift in my shop. What is the best on the market for home use? I need something with at least 8000-9000# capacity. What do you have or what do you recommend? Anything you wish you had done different with your install?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1,998 Posts
I think something that heavy duty will need six inches of concrete in the slab under the lift. Just sayin'.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

· Registered
1966 El Camino 350/370HP 5 speed TKX 3.31 rear.1967 Chevelle 454/430HP Th400 w/Gear Vender 3.73 rear
240 Posts
I have the Advantage 11K four post lift and would recommend it. I have the wheel kit so it can be moved if necessary. Mine is not anchored to the floor and have had several vehicles including a Dodge 3/4 toon dually on it. I use a sliding lift and have had several vehicles lifted with the wheels off the ramps, and felt comfortable under it. Very solid unit.

· Premium Member
1,201 Posts
IMO BendPak is the best for the money. I did a lot of research before purchasing mine and I’m very happy. My buddy and I purchased together to save some money, he got a cheaper one and almost lost his car within a month due to failure. We were able to Jack the corner that was down back up before the car came off.

I ended up with a 9k pound 4 post narrow. I would recommend the narrow for gaining garage space and it’s also easier to work on the car.

· Premium Member
Rochester, New York
2,347 Posts
I've had my BendPak for over 20 years now and counting. A LOT of home use, but not daily use as if it was in a shop. Zero issues. Safe for car storage and HD work.

I don't even know if replacement parts are still available as I have not needed any ;)

· Premium Member
2,871 Posts
I purchased an Atlas 408 SL in 2016. It’s 8000 lb capacity. Purchased mainly for storage, but it’s been used for brake lines, exhaust and transmissions. Love it. Mine is not bolted to the floor. I like the fact that the lifting cable is not exposed and routed inside the columns. I paid $2350 with caster kit in 2016 and now they are $5150. Wow!

And it took me and 2 buddies about 3 hours to assemble and make it fully operational.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Atlas (ATEATTD408SL) 408-SL Premium 8,000 lb. Capacity Portable 4-Post Lift (tooltopia.com)

· Registered
757 Posts
I went with an Atlas 9000 lb model, One of the main reason is they had it at a ware house about 1 hr from me and I saved a bunch on shipping by going up to get it with my car trailer. Mine was the extra wide/ long version .

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

· Premium Member
2,871 Posts
One of the main reason is they had it at a ware house about 1 hr from me and I saved a bunch on shipping by going up to get it with my car trailer.

View attachment 760396
Same here… used a car trailer to pick up in Delaware and also saved sales tax.

· Registered
1,998 Posts
I would certainly consider a Quick Jack for home use and might still. I looked and they were still about $1400 or so when I checked a year or so ago. But that's still crawling around and layin' around on a cold garage floor.

Rick

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the comments and keep them coming. I have looked at the Advantage DX-9000-XLT. Very nice and well built. That was and still is my first choice. Pricey at $5995 plus $675 shipping and taxes. I have seen it in person and it's top quality. I have been reading and looking at the BendPak also. The lift will only see part time use in my personal shop and I doubt I ever use it to store one car on top of the other. I know I'll never use it enough to justify cost but as stated before, tried of laying on the cold floor to work under a car.

· Registered
1970 SS 396 25-C, 1966 SS R-R
1,184 Posts
Forgot to mention, the 9000 lb BendPak I have requires compressed air (40 lb min) to operate. The air is needed to release the safeties so you can lower the lift once raised. I don’t know if other brands require air to operate.

· Premium Member
2,034 Posts
I would certainly consider a Quick Jack for home use and might still. I looked and they were still about $1400 or so when I checked a year or so ago. But that's still crawling around and layin' around on a cold garage floor.
Rick
Those look like a nice option for a guy (me) with a low garage height and still fits in 33" jeans, so belly clearance on creeper would be acceptable. I also like the idea of full access to suspension and wheels. I never feel comfortable with jack stands on 4 corners ...

· Premium Member
27 Posts
Those look like a nice option for a guy (me) with a low garage height and still fits in 33" jeans, so belly clearance on creeper would be acceptable. I also like the idea of full access to suspension and wheels. I never feel comfortable with jack stands on 4 corners ...
That’s exactly where my head is at. We have a small house in California and don’t have the space for a huge lift yet!

I wonder if it would be awkward to get under the center of the car or a trans jack in there with the rails going full length of the car?

· Premium Member
2,034 Posts
I wonder if it would be awkward to get under the center of the car or a trans jack in there with the rails going full length of the car?
That's one inconvenience. You would need to enter from the front or rear of vehicle. Still looks like a nice design for those that can't do a full lift...(wish I had that for a recent engine swap)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts