Chevelles.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been out of the Rod building scene for 20 yrs so I need some assistance. I have a 1967 Chevelle Malibu. I've had this car for 40 years. It has the original drum brakes, moog springs, and All original suspension. I am going to replace the 1979 Target Master 350 w/ Isky 270 Hydraulic cam, Holley Street Dominator manifold with 650 Holly double pumper, Sanderson chrome headers with likely a 350 to 400 ish HP performance crate motor since there are not any good speed shops close to Cheyenne, WY.

After that long schpeel, I want to put on disc brakes, and totally updated front and rear suspension. At the most, I would road rally, I love to drive twisty mtn roads etc. I have no idea where to begin. Can ya'll point me in the right direction. I don't care what the cost is!

Thank you so much in advance.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
One of these Kits will do it // talk to Ramey and he will provide great advise
Handling Kits Archives - UMI Performance Inc.

I bought all my new Front and Rear suspension parts from UMI Perf to Replace the 50+ year old parts on my 67

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
I think you can get great handling by spending very little and just following common sense.
I replaced all the bushings with new moog rubber.
Installed addco front (1-1/4") and rear (1") sway bars $250
KYB mono-tube shocks $150
BMR 1" drop springs front and rear $250
Jeep cherokee fast-ratio (12.7-1) steering box $150
For brakes I installed 2000 Camaro 4 wheel LS1 brakes, 12" rotors (front calipers are twice as big as stock 11" single piston) $600
You have to run 17" minimum wheels for these brakes. Tires are BFG Comp TA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kirk's 67 SS, I had not heard of UMI previously. I just heard of Hotchkis, Ride Tech and Detroit Speed. Is one better than another? It looks like they all have re engineered the geometry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nashville Beth,

I am looking also for a variable-ratio steering box. Did you have to modify anything to use the Jeep box? I have not heard of BMR or ADDCO? Where did not get the Camero LS1 brakes?

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Kirk's 67 SS, I had not heard of UMI previously. I just heard of Hotchkis, Ride Tech and Detroit Speed. Is one better than another? It looks like they all have re engineered the geometry.
I checked out all the Big Name suppliers ( H / RT / DS ) and for the $$ and the Best Quality UMI Perf came out on Top
plus the parts I bought and installed on my 67 Fit perfectly
A lot of TC Members have bought and use their Parts
UMI does their own R&D on every Part they Sell on their own/company Vehicles

Reactions: shovelrick and LeoP

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Nashville Beth,

I am looking also for a variable-ratio steering box. Did you have to modify anything to use the Jeep box? I have not heard of BMR or ADDCO? Where did not get the Camero LS1 brakes?
There are no mods to use the jeep box; it looks identical to original but has a faster gear ratio , 12.7-1.
Bought the LS1 brakes from RockAuto.com. They are 2000 Z28 Camaro brakes. BMR and Addco are sold at Summit racing. Addco has been around forever.

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Registered
145 Posts
On my 67 (and now 72) I have what I considered the best options. and with the 67 i had to added cost of shipping to Australia, so i did more research than most i would say. And the follwoing brands came out on top for product, price, and customer service.

UMI stage 3 kit - but buy to your budget, as it goes up to 5.
Lee Power steering 12:1 box with #40 "weight" if you search you will see a few posts on the importance of feel and "weight" over just the ratio.
Stock disc and drum (switching to kore3 355 hybrid next year

And REPLACE all the steering components at once. use either proforge to moog, just do it all at once and don't forget the rag joint.

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
There are no mods to use the jeep box; it looks identical to original but has a faster gear ratio , 12.7-1.
Bought the LS1 brakes from RockAuto.com. They are 2000 Z28 Camaro brakes. BMR and Addco are sold at Summit racing. Addco has been around forever.
If I am not mistaken, you do need to purchase a different rag joint to install the Jeep box into a Chevelle. You also need to use either the correct hoses or purchase the hose adapters. There is a sticky at the top of this section that should have all of the information needed for the swap.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
A nice thing about A-body suspension upgrades is that they are bolt-ons and can be done in stages. The OEM front end geometry is WAY worse than the rear so start at the front.

·
Premium Member
6,924 Posts
I bought my tubular upper & lower front control arms from ebay IIRC Speedtech? but it was before I joined this forum ( and not well informed) and also was away from hotrods for 20+ yrs. so I bought a Proforged steering kit and all needed ball joints to replace the BJs that came with the control arms, installed new BB springs in my malibu (was a 307 car) new UMI sway bar and an MBM 4 whl disc brake conv. kit (really don't care for it) but Beths brake conv. sounds like something I'm going to look into doing, I like the fact of factory replacement parts and no special order stuff when it comes to some things, brakes being one of those things, for suspension a complete kit takes guess work out, UMI seems like very well made parts IMHO

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,972 Posts
Did anybody mention UMI? ;) When was the last time anybody here saw those "big name" vendors log on here and try to help anybody? Yeah, me neither. Hint: don't hold your breath. UMI at least tries be a contributing member of the community.

Rob, is your car an automatic trans? 2.72 or 3.08 rear gear? if so, you'll need to fall back and re-group on your plan. Double pumper and street dominator are about the worst choice in that case. slug slow and 8MPG await you there.

If it were me I'd lay off some of that stuff and get a decent 200-4R or 700R4 automatice OD trans. much easier install with the engine is out.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Nashville Beth,

Beth look into the Lee 800 series box. Its brand new and wow is it nice.. I have and prefer the 14:1 with a 30 pound valve....
It's a direct bolt in...

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Beth look into the Lee 800 series box. Its brand new and wow is it nice.. I have and prefer the 14:1 with a 30 pound valve....
It's a direct bolt in...
I already have a jeep box. About $140 from RockAuto

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
28,972 Posts
Beth, have you run the sanity check on the rebuilt box yet? It's quite common these days for boxes to be wrongly assembled. I think all the mass rebuilders are in Mexico or across that big pond that's west of Los Angeles. I have a write up I did somewhere. Been awhile since I've seen it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts