Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with a clacking noise (posted earlier), and found that one of the pushrods was bent.

What may have caused this?
Do I just need to replace the pushrod and its back to business, or may there be deeper problems?
How would I check for lifter/cam problems (like a collapsed lifter)?

W

·
0 Posts
Are we talking about a new cam, old one, rat or small block, need more info.

Push rods don't normally bend after they have been running for a while.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Small Block Chevy, I put a new cam, pushrods, and lifters in. The motor had been running fine since I rebuilt it.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Sounds like the cam it too much for the stock valve springs and they are stacking up. Or the valve train was improperly adjusted when it was repalced. I have seen people change to a performance cam and bend pushrods and break rockers studs (been there done that) because the stock springs are too weak or too long for the new cam etc. Also they make different length pushrods and they will not work with the stock springs. The problem will get worse. Could have mismatched parts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use vortec heads, with a 268h comp cam with 224/230 477/480 specs, will the stock valve springs work fine?

D

·
0 Posts
You may already know this, but just in case. If a push rod is bent, there is a good (bad) reason for this. Something was in a bind. Are you sure the valves didn't hit the piston (timing off)? You probably will need to pull the heade to be sure. You can always gamble, like a buddy of mine did. He ended up busting a valve and ruined piston, head, block, etc. . . Better safe than sorry. Just my thoughts. Good luck, David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.