Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here, since this is my first Chevelle to restore. I have a 69 Malibu Convertible, and I have been going over it, figuring out what needs to be done, etc. I'm currently working on the mechanical stuff, wheels, brakes, and most of my wiring. Engine runs great, transmission is rebuilt, but my real challenge is going to be cosmetics.
I need a new top, saw that from the beginning, but I have one piece of the manual top frame that is bent. I have tried straightening it, but you know how it goes, it is weak. Someone before me has tried to fix it, by drilling out the factory rivet, and replacing it with a screw and nut, which has compounded the problem. Should I try to get a new piece fabricated, the original had a slight bend in it already, I can see in the other side, and it would tough to make it "like new' and have it operate correctly. I am currently waiting on pricing to get the whole frame replaced. Are there many frames available and where out there can I find them? Like I said, I'm new, and just getting started, so I don't know too many locals, and not sure where the swap meets are... I'm going to scan the classifieds on here now, but mainly, I want to know, should I replace the piece, or the whole thing? Thanks...
Russ

------------------
Russ Lawrence
'69 Malibu Ragtop

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I wish i could help you on that one - some convertible guy will.
Welcome to the best site on the net for Chevelles!!

------------------
Ron Cook TC Gold Member #1276
1969 300 Deluxe HTSS396 69 300 Deluxe 325HP L35 69memorylane 1971 Malibu 2DR HT
"Supporting all car hobbyists, even those with different cars, is what being a true enthusiast is all about."

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm not sure what part, exactly, is bent based on your description. I can tell you that Year One and Origional Parts Group both have extensive rag-top parts available. Generally, once something is bent badly, you won't be able to simply straighten it without the right tooling. Strange as it may sound, a boat top shop might be able to help you if you don't want to chase parts.

------------------
1970 Chevelle Convertible

·
Registered
24 Posts
phone local auto wreckers and look for a replacement piece..a used frame wont be readily available..or cheap...i had opportunity to pick up used one for 250cdn, waited too long, now he wants 750..damn.

·
Super Moderator
1,905 Posts
I replaced the top frame on my 69 with one I got from a wrecking yard. I have never seen a manual top frame, I thought they were all power tops, I guess I have the optional power top. I wish I had'nt thrown away my old one when I moved, the pivot points were worn out and the header rusted out but it was still straight.
You can drill out the pivot points slightly and hammer in new rivets that a machine shop can make for you. You just need to find the piece you need or have a new one fabricated at a metal fab shop.

Bob Tiley http://www.geocities.com/bobtiley

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Saw one for sale in the "for sale" area.

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sid Coleman:
Saw one for sale in the "for sale" area.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good eye, Sid. Here it is: http://www.chevelles.com/ads/parts/messages/19245.html
This is a power top, so don't know if the portion you need is the same as a manual top.

Good luck, Russ, and welcome to Team Chevelle.

------------------
Bill Pritchard
69 SS396 Convertible
"Life is short; eat dessert first." - Ogden Nash
My low tech web page

[This message has been edited by Bill Pritchard (edited 08-14-2001).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help, but there is a difference in the power and manual. I also did some digging, and found a place in FL that will send me an entire side rail for around $300 plus a core charge. These things are hard to find, the guy even relayed that to me, and he wants all old ones anyone might have lying around needing to be rebuilt, because the supply is running out, and unlike Corvettes, no one is making OEM replacements yet. If anyone else out there is looking for some help with a bent frame, here is where I found it.. http://www.topsdown.com/index.htm
I'm sure I'll be posting again, and thanks again for the help, glad to be a part of the group now, and now all I need is to be a member...
Russ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.