Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the axles and the Eaton posi unit. Here are some pics of the rear. The view is as if you were looking down on it from the top. It has a frown. So the axle tubes are bent towards the front of the car. They are straight out of the center section until it hits a point where the ladder bars used to be bolted on. (Just inside of the spring perch) That is the spot they both bend. I hate ladder bars!!!
Just looking at the rear, you can see the ends appear to be aiming downward about 1/3 way out on each tube. I put a steel bar on the tube and there is a gap at each end. Driver side is 3/16" inch at the end of the tube and the passenger side is 5/32" out at the end of the tube. I saw somewhere a picture of how a guy used a scissor jack on the mounting flange where the cover goes and then attached a chain to each housing end over the scissor jack in the middle. He cranked on the jack to pull the tubes back while heating the tube with a torch in the area where the bend started. Might be worth a shot???

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
Jim, I just had my 68 Camaro 12 bolt straightened professionally. It was around $100 for the job. I didn't see them do it, but they have a centerless ground bar that they use as a go/no-go gauge to tell when the tubes are straight. For the money, having it done by a pro is a no-brainer to me. I could recommend a guy in Detroit but that's a hike for you! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
This might help.1969 chevelle 12 bolt rear. Housing only,with disc brakes.....250.00,yep,two hundred fifty bucks.heres the num.330,493,4327 Its in ohio. Hope its not sold already.:yes: good luck

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Freddie,
Yes, years ago before I purchased the car, it was drag raced hard with slicks and ladder bars. I pulled the axles, shined a light in the tube where the carrier would be and looked in the tube from the brake end. You can see the casting line coming out of the center section very straight and then making an abrupt bend right where the ladder bars were mounted. I want to have the ends cut off and have "press on bearing" style housing ends welded on. The guy that will do the work said that if I can get it within a 1/16" of an inch, he can make up the difference with his centering jig when he welds the new ends on.

·
Registered
306 Posts
are those tubes already welded to the center? The could have bent from that procedure in the past since most guys just go nuts and weld the whole thing around at once. A Jig helps with that too. Good luck and keep us updated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts