Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just bought a nice pair of buckets, and am looking to install them in place of my bench seat. I've got a 72 Convertible.
I know I will need to buy some brackets to bolt the inner tracks in. I also noticed that the outer track bolts don't line up with the old bench seat bolt holes, and the seat belt retractors are in the way now.
Questions:
1. What type of mounting brackets should I buy, and do they make some that deal with the outer bolt hole problem, and/or the seat belt retractor issue?
2. Is welding required on the brackets?
3. Any other issues anyone ran into that I'm not thinking of? Any other good advice?

My plan is to also install a console. Any ideas there are also very welcome!

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Don't buy the aftermarket brackets.
Find a factory 68-72 GM A-body buckets seat car in a wrecking yard and cut the brackets out of the car. If you get lucky, you get a console bracket at the same time.
Separate the floor panel from the actual bracket and weld into place.
You'll also need some measurements for where the brackets go. Get these measurements from the donor car.
This is the right way to do this and believe me, you'll be much happier when it's completed.
I bought some of the aftermarket bucket seat brackets and after close inspection, I threw them away.

Nate

·
Registered
269 Posts
and... if you can;t find a junkyard doner, Ground Up has the next best thing. As I was told from asking the same question, pay the extra money and buy the set that has two pieces per side. Do a search on the topic, and make sure the small, single outboard piece is in a straight line with the back outboard bolt! Drew

·
Gold Founding Member
63,020 Posts
I just welded in the two inboard aftermarket pieces and used the old bench's outboard holes on my 70 convertible.

Several people have said that using the original outboard holes puts the seats too close to the seat belt retractors which I'm sure it does but it doesn't really seem to matter all that much. (not to me anyway)

If I was going to do it again I would use all four aftermarket pieces but I didn't know about the little front outboard brackets at the time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I moved the outer bolts/holes in 3/4" to clear seat belt retractors and used the inboard mounts from Year One. I could have made the inboard mounts for a fraction of what Year One charged me. I just put the mounts on the seat frame, lined up the outer holes, checked clearance at the console and welded the inboard strips. Worked great. Then I just put a bolt in the old holes from the bottom and painted the heads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts