Team Chevelle banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting ready to install my 71 ss dash and would really like to test everything I can before I get it in the car. What is the best way to test what can be tested while it is out of the car?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You will need at least 4 amps of current.
You will need a 12 v source such as a battery (fuse the pos lead), battery charger or power supply. It is easier if you have a mating connector for the gauge cluster but not necessary. Connect + (12v) to pin 7 (gauge power) or any of the terminals that pin 7 connects to (follow the traces from pin 7) and - (neg) to any clean metal surface of the cluster. To test the dash lights connect another + (12v) wire to pin 2 (Dash lights). To test the oil light (no oil gauge for ss clusters) connect a ground (metal case)to pin 6. To test the turn signal lights connect another +12v to pin 1 for left and pin 12 for right. To test the fuel gauge, connect one end of a 45 ohm resistor to pin 11 and the other end to ground (metal case).
This should registor 1/2. If you don't have any resistors, no connection will be past full and ground will be empty. To test the temp gauge, connect a 75 ohm resistor from pin 10 to ground, this should registor about 210 deg. 50 ohm = 250 deg, 75 ohm = 210 deg and 270 ohm = 100 deg.If you don't have a resistor, open will register far left and ground on pin 10 will register past 250 deg. To test the brake light connect a ground to pin 8. To test the high beam light connect +12v to pin 5. To test the amp gauge connect a AA battery + on pin 3 and - on pin 4, it will registor over 40 amps charge (depending on condition of battery), reverse the AA battery and it will register over 40 amps discharge. To test the tach you will need a pulse generator or a running car that has points or early (no computer) hei ignition. Hook the + from the car battery to pin 7 and - from the car battery to any clean metal surface of the gauge cluster. Hook the negative side of the coil (points ign) or tach terminal(hei ign) to pin 9. start car up and rev motor, tach should respond.

·
Registered
116 Posts
steve thanks alot i will also be testing my dash before installation. i printed all your instructions thanks again.
bill

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just a note on using a battery charger for a +12 supply. The output is usually pretty ragged, so if you can filter it with a big (20,000 mfd or more) electolytic capasitor across the output, it will clean up well. It could give you false readings on items that are voltage sensitive.
-Bill

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
One other note. If the AA battery is new it might be powerful enough to flip the amp gauge needle to straight down. If this happens just touch it again and it should flip back up.
It probably is a good idea to put a big filter cap on a battery charger as the output is a little dirty. The temp and gas gauges are not very sensative to supply voltage at all. I tested with a power supply and ran the voltage down to 7 volts and they still worked.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi guys, was wondering if these tests would be the same for the 70 ss dash,and could I use a transformer to do the testing. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Applies to 70-72 SS Gauge dash.
You cannot use a transformer (AC), you must have 12 volts DC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts