Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posted 01-19-2005 11:41 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I bought a clock on ebay and the person selling it said they didn't know whether or not the clock worked. I was planning on testing it with a battery. I have a hunch I will need to use a fuse link in order not to burn the motor up if indeed the clock is good.
Thanks, JFC69-70

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Checked mine with just hook + side to the fuse panel and touching the ground side to the dash frame.Not sure if you need to change amp rating if it has been converted to quartzs.Can usually find find which post is ground by a test light or ohm meter with touching post,then other side to the clock chasic if get reading that post will be ground side.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
A 5A fuse should be all that's needed. On my factory indash clock on my 74 Nova the clock only drew power for a short time and what that was for was to wind up a spring inside and then the clock would work for so long. After the spring unwound a set of contact points inside of it would trigger a solenoid to wind the spring again and then draw power off of the car's battery.
I found out on mine that the contact points had pitted and also an internal spring had become weak preventing mine from working. I cleaned the contacts and replaced the spring and after that it worked fine. I did notice that to get mine started I had to roll it some using a back and forth twisting motion to start up a portion of the clockworks. There was a little wheel in the clockworks that would wind up and then unwind to keep the clock going.
Jim

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I just remembered this but on mine there was an adjustement to slow it down if it ran fast or if turned the other way would speed it up if it ran slow. I left mine wired up for a few days and compared it to a quartz clock before I made any adjustments and then I did very minor tweaking and let it sit another couple of days to see if it was better or worse.
Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts