Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a clock in the dash of my 70 that I would like to test. I have the dash pulled from the car and would like to bench test it before I put everything back together. Which post is positive and which is negative?
Don't want to trash it putting the juice to the wrong post.

Dan Solomon
70 Chevelle

·
Super Moderator
12,637 Posts
Dan,
The factory service manual should have a digram that shows the proper terminals.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
IF (that's a big if) your clock is the same one used in the 71/72s. There are two terminals on the back side for a connector. With the clock up, and facing the rear of the clock.
One terminal is almost horizontal (side to side).
The other terminal is almost vertical (up and down).
The horizontal (almost) is the positive.
Did you lose your clock connector? The orange is positive.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably should have said it is a sweep dash.
John_Muha, it sounds like you hit the mark! You descrided the terminals exactly.
This is a swap from a car that did not have a clock so I haven't got the clock harness yet. Thanks for the help guys!

Dan Solomon
70 Chevelle

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
This should clear thing up. On the Monte Carlo and Chevelle SS dash the clock mounts on the metal back of the cluster that is grounded. Therefore the orange power wire is all that is connected to the clock. On the standard Chevelle “sweep” the clock mounts on the plastic speedo housing. Therefor the clock needs both power and ground. Additional information-The Monte/SS dash harness includes the clock wiring. The sweep dash harness doesn’t have wiring for a clock. The needed wiring was included with the optional clock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts