Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My catalogs don't show any suppliers for these. Anyone have suggestions, other than have the installer fabricate?
Thanks!

------------------
71 Ragtop, finally under reconstruction!
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I salvaged the springs (side support) from another bench seat (69-72). I used back support springs from the passenger side of the same bench for the drivers backrest.

This was a lot cheaper than new. What do you need? Another way is to cut some steel brake line pieces and slide them over the broken ends. Crimp, solder and go.

As for foam, unless yours is really bad, you can add 1-2 inches of foam from an auto-trim shop on top of your existing padding. Just hog-ring it down so it dosen't slide.

I didn't add any foam when I redid the bench in my 70 Chevelle. But looking back at it, I think an extra inch of padding would have made the seat look a little better.

------------------

Springfield, Ohio

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>name: D.G. & my 70 Malibu
<LI>http://www.wright.edu/~adams.41/chevy.htm
<LI>TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
<LI>eBay username: dg98adams
<LI>"Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software"
[/list]

·
Registered
319 Posts
when i redid my seat the driver side support springs were broken so i just swapped it with the passenger side and welded the the broken spring and put it in the passenger side. i think the passenger side(welded) spring broke already but its not my problem anymore! and as far as foam i just bought a piece of carpet padding and filled the cracks in the foam with it and laid a big piece over the top.

------------------
Derek Ohlgren

68 El Camino w/ 307
Hugger Orange, beautiful color.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guess my upholster-er will just have to do some fabricating. The donor seats I've got is missing a big section of foam, and had a distinct sag. Plus it has to hold up under my big butt-so I'd hope they put good springs in

Thanks for the responses guys.

------------------
71 Ragtop, finally under reconstruction!
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174
[email protected]

·
Registered
88 Posts
OPGI sells bench seat foam, and also believe NPD sells foam as well.

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> '68 El Camino w/327 Turbo 350, PB, PS, PW, cruise control, A/C, gauges.
<LI> Team Chevelle Member #1289
[/list]

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks-will start looking for those catalogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts