Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bench seats often have little to no support on the sides, even when they are not broken..
I don't do too many of these- but I get asked about it fairly often, so thought I'd take some pics while I had a good example in front of me.

The original springs here aren't broken, but they are weak. Here is the original drivers side support springs:

Anyway- this is what I do to help reinforce it:

I take some 9ga zig-zag spring & Flatten it, then i bend it to shape:

As you can see the original side supports for benches use this square loop stuff. The Medium Loop spring that I have is a close match to ends of the loops- It doesn't have to be an exact match for this to work- the key is that the spots you want to clamp it need to be close, and they are, so it works well.

Then I use spring clamps and clamp into the originals.

Its hard to see from just a photo, but the change was dramatic, and it will feel a million times better in the car, so you won't feel like your sliding down into the door jamb.

I will do the same thing on the other side of the seat, and a similar "doubling" up of the front center 2 support springs in the middle of the seat to firm it up.

This will allow the seating areas to compress, while supporting on either side.

Anyway... Just thought I'd share.
Don't throw it out because its broken! Fix it.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,713 Posts
I wish I'da done that to mine before I reupholstered it.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Wow Tony,

Good idea. You are a year too late. I wish I would have doubled up. Instead, I replaced originals with new side springs. Good idea to do the same on the in bound side.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Just did that with a '77 Dodge Aspen.....:eek:.... .driver's bucket seat, but only because replacement side springs are not available. The Aspen springs were not broken, just weak and almost collapsed.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Great post

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
When my upholstery guy was recovering my bucket seats for me, my one complaint was the sagging seats. I repaired any broken springs and then he placed some additional thick foam where you doubled up the springs. Both inboard and outboard sides with similar results. Just another idea.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
X2 love these posts.

Ben, should this be done on back seats as well? Seems like it may be overkill back there....

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
I have not done this on a customers rear seat before, but i have thought about it. The back seat in my 68 is pretty rusty, so i may try it on that one when i redo it this spring and see what effect it will have.

In my experience the 60s & 70's GM backseats were always weak/soft, even on mint condition low mile back seat frames- and really nothing i have done to try and reinforce them has helped much, so it may be a valuable experiment.

As you suggest, pretty sure the same thing would work here- doubling up the springs along the front edge springs of the back seat as well- These are the ones that compress when you sit on it, not the ones along the top- those are important too- but they just support the seat cushion- they only give so much, its the front edge that compresses.

If doing that I think I would recommend doing every other spring, or maybe even skip two & do one... Doing all would likely be way too stiff. And since going over existing zig zag springs, i would position the new ones opposite the existing, so the loops face opposite ways. You see spots on the originals springs where they doubled them up and that is how they did them.

Anyway.. something for me to think about...

·
Registered
50 Posts
could you do that with the middle springs as well, or would it just be better to replace? just curious, because I'm a big guy and I'm going to redo my seat soon.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Good idea

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
could you do that with the middle springs as well, or would it just be better to replace? just curious, because I'm a big guy and I'm going to redo my seat soon.
I would not replace if the existing ones are not whittled down with rust, i would just reinforce/double up.

If doing that, i would not do every one... maybe every other two.. or just do the center 4 and let the ones directly under the driver/passenger sag a bit for comfort.

Really depends on how far gone it is.

If doing alot of reinforcement, What i would recommend, is to temporarily assemble the seat w/o covers and sit on it and see how it feels. If you make it too stiff, it can be as bad or worse that a seat that sags!

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is how the seat turned out:

Nice and firm now.

The Seat started out as the original 68 Bench seat from my own chevelle... But i'm going to put buckets in, so down the road it goes!

The customer has a 66 elcamino and wanted a correct seat, so I removed the locking mechanisms while i was apart. No way to know now unless you stripped it again!

New Burlap and Jute installed on upper cushions:

Replicated the original shedded spring insulation peices:

new Burlap & jute on lower cushion

And new ACI Buns

anyway... thats all folks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts