Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so now i have a car with original bench seat i want to replace it with factory buckets, how and where do these brackets go? anything else needed? do the out side tracks on the bucket seats use the outside tracks holes on the bench seat already in the car?

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
On my car (originally a bench) the seats were only attached at the front outer hole when I got it. I had to ream the rear hole on the track slightly to get the outer rear bolt in. I'll need some of those brackets too unless I switch back to a bench.

·
Super Moderator
4,784 Posts
Here is a pic of mine showing the location of the brackets. Follow Dean's doc for instruction and measurements
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you very much the brakets shown in the pictures inthe article are very close to the ones OPG sell the OPG should work also correct? these pictured here, ( I saw you made mention of the L-79side note I had 66 chevy II L79 car back in the day 410 4 speed i put away aot of big boys with that little sleeper!)

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and since the seat track has 2 holes in the rear the outer hole is used correct? this is why the stud in front isnt inline with the rear hole correct?

·
Super Moderator
4,784 Posts
and since the seat track has 2 holes in the rear the outer hole is used correct? this is why the stud in front isnt inline with the rear hole correct?
Yes the outer bolt is not used and yes it is a L79 car. Although I measured everything I used the rear inside threaded hole to set the brackets to the seats and to double check before I started welding. I could have patched the floor but decided to go one piece with full supports. Came out great.

·
Super Moderator
4,784 Posts
Don not sure I am following you about Deans brackets. The one in the doc he provided are wrong for 68-72, the ones in my 68 pic are right. Can you explain?

Bill

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the pictures of the floor that is black is correct for a 70 chevelle correct.....? i, gettin confised

·
Registered
66 chevelle
472 Posts
Don not sure I am following you about Deans brackets. The one in the doc he provided are wrong for 68-72, the ones in my 68 pic are right. Can you explain?

Bill
Bill I was just wondering if there is a nice article like that for installation of 66 seat brackets
I didn’t know that article was incorrect?

·
Super Moderator
4,784 Posts
Bill I was just wondering if there is a nice article like that for installation of 66 seat brackets
I didn’t know that article was incorrect?
Not off the top of my head Don. There are a few crappy Youtube vidoes that can help but not well done that I just took a quick look at. I would open a new post asking if anyone has done it and took measurements or has a document for the 66/67. Can't hurt.

·
Registered
66 chevelle
472 Posts
Yes the YouTube videos I saw are not great information. There are a couple of drawings
I’ve seen of of placement of brackets but are a little confusing 🤷‍♂️

·
Gold Founding Member
64,718 Posts
What is incorrect in the article, other than they didn't have the little brackets back then?
As I recall the bench seat rear had a stud in the floor and the fronts were bolts.

BTW, James Hinshaw told me I shouldn't post that because something in the article was wrong.
Basically, I posted it to show the OP where the backets go

·
Super Moderator
4,784 Posts
Yes the YouTube videos I saw are not great information. There are a couple of drawings
I’ve seen of of placement of brackets but are a little confusing 🤷‍♂️
Don here is a nice book on the 66 Fisher Body manual section 10 that goes real deep into the seats. I just did a quick scan but I think this will come in handy if not today it will tomorrow. Best part its free

·
Premium Member
13,566 Posts
The outer of the two holes in the seat track mounts (with factory bolt) to the inner threaded hole in the floor board. This is done to clear the seat belt retractor.
Good way to lay things out are to mount the seat tracks to the seat brackets and set the whole thing in place. Once one gets the seat correctly positioned take a magic marker and trace around the seat brackets. Then remove the seat from the brackets and place brackets within the traced magic marker lines. Weld away.
One important thing is when placing seat make sure the seat tracks are both retracted or extended the same distance on each side. If one is farther back or forward than the other the seat will sit crooked. Also have seat belt retractor installed as to make sure it clears the seat.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
You would be wise to hang on to the bench seat if there anything like mine. I'm removing the completely rebuilt buckets that came with my 69 el Camino for a Strato Bench seat. The arm rest will help keep me from sliding around on turns. Ever since I rebuilt the suspension on my 69 Elco, its handles like a formula car. The bench is the answer. It has seat / shoulder belts. Whip lash, head rest protectors and the center arm rest. I've been looking for the one I want and found a couple.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Gear shift Steering part

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Yep you may want to go back to having the bench seat! keep it a dry clean place basement attic of garage or house. Put it in a big bag. The mattress stores have tons of them they toss out so ask nicely they let you have them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts