Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not new to Chevelles or any car,as Ive been racing and building cars all my life.Semi-retired now.I have had many muscle cars,all different brands as well.I'm sure this will be a pickle to some,but seeing gun threads on this site bothers me.Thats just how I feel.I don't see how this comes up in Bench Racing.Whenever I talk with my buddies about fast cars ,engine builds and braggin rights,guns never come up.I guess maybe because I'm north of the 49th.Of all the people we( my wife and I)know,we can count the gun owners on one hand.I can see gun threads on YellowBullit forums,but sure did not think it would be here.I belong to two other car on-line sites and have never seen gun threads pop up.There are a zillion gun sites on-line.I love talking about cars,I don't mix the two,and never will.Call me what ever you like,and if i'm odd man out,thats fine.It's just a vintage muscle car site,and there are many others.I just love Chevelles.I'm not sayin this to piss people off,but the way times are I probably already have.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,703 Posts
Hi Mark, Welcome to Team Chevelle! and you didn't piss me off at all, I think Bench Racing is a forum to just talk about anything in general, myself I own a few guns and like going to the range and shooting once in awhile but really like working on my chevelle a lot more, rick.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Welcome!
I see your point, but this board doesn't have an "off topic" section like some others do.
Bench racing is labeled as ".....and more." So it kinda fits there in a way.
No offense taken. You are allowed your opinion. I'm allowed mine.
You are still welcome here!
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Welcome,

You absolutely have a right to feel however you wish and to voice your opinion about it! That's the beauty of free speech, the other beauty of free speech is that others can feel otherwise and talk about what they want to as well.

A wonderful thing about forums is that you don't have to click on or read threads that are about things that don't interest you, very cool world we live in :thumbsup:

By the way, the enemy of free speech is when people believe they have a right to not be offended. Not being offended and free speech only work together if everyone feels and thinks the same way and what a crappy world that would be.

Of course that's just my opinion :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Freedom of speech is a USA thing and this is a Canadian owned site which is a freedom to ignore topics site. :)

I said before that I wished there was a forum that was strictly Chevelles only, no off topics allowed.

Heck, you are an administrator delete any posts you don't like and steer the site as you and the Canadian owners wish :thumbsup:. If folks don't like it so be it.

I would stay if it was Chevelles only (by far the main reason I visit here, oh and the big block builds that end up in all kinds of cars) but I would miss the discussions about other cars and trucks as well as the witty banter and other such discussions :crying:

·
Registered
617 Posts
As a moderator of Nevada's largest 'gun' forum, I'll add my welcome. But just as this site has a 'Bench Racing' section, Nevada Shooters has a 'General Conversation' (non firearm related) section. We even discuss VEHICLES, :surprise:, but typically 4WD stuff. Yet I still have a following for my lowrider '66 El Camino.

I am an avid gun enthusiast, although I don't hunt. I'm a collector and plinker. We have hunting threads on our forum. Members discuss the sport and post pics of their take. I just don't read those threads.

It's not a matter of free speech, which is not relevant to a privately owned website. Everyone has other interests that they may wish to share.

If you don't like the gun stuff, don't read the threads. Problem solved.

Again, welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well I can see based so far from the responses are your affection for firearms.I see it's popped up again,another gun thread.That makes me uncomfortable.I just prefer a simple automotive forum site without firearms.I'm born and raised in a gun restricted country with no democrates or republicans where guns are not a serious issue and daily shooting violence.Well A little ,but not on such a huge scale. it's fun to target shoot,just another thing to blow money on.Just rather be on cars,guitars and women!And yes,I'm just sayin'.Adios.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
It's not a matter of free speech, which is not relevant to a privately owned website. Everyone has other interests that they may wish to share.

If you don't like the gun stuff, don't read the threads. Problem solved.

Again, welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:
as mentioned earlier, Bench racing involves almost everything members want to talk about, except politics and street racing, those are a no go zone.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Well I can see based so far from the responses are your affection for firearms.I see it's popped up again,another gun thread.That makes me uncomfortable.I just prefer a simple automotive forum site without firearms.I'm born and raised in a gun restricted country with no democrates or republicans where guns are not a serious issue and daily shooting violence.Well A little ,but not on such a huge scale. it's fun to target shoot,just another thing to blow money on.Just rather be on cars,guitars and women!And yes,I'm just sayin'.Adios.
^^^^ French Canadian...:waving:
Guys been on this site for TWO WEEKS and wants to dictate what's discussed here. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts

I don't understand. Guns are things to have fun with. The vast majority of people who talk about guns use them for plinking and target shooting. I shoot for fun. I have big guns and small guns, and I use them for different things. I reload my own ammo because it is really interesting to work up loads that match the gun. I was actually going to ask if a short case on a 45 ACP would bother anything when I reload it. There are some intelligent people on here that can answer questions like that, and I respect their opinion. I found the answer on another forum from a Google search, but I could have asked here as well.

I have a very powerful 30 caliber rifle that will hold a nice group at 250 yards, but I also have a little 22 caliber pistol that makes a pop can dance around. I have what many people would consider an assault rifle. I only use a 20 round magazine because it is a distraction to get off target to load another round into the chamber. Plus, my 223 reloaded ammo is usually in 20 round boxes, so a box/magazine. I never even remotely think of it as a killing machine. The dang thing isn't accurate enough to be one. :) A gun is not a death machine any more than my 600hp Chevelle is, but some people can't understand why I want a 600hp Chevelle either or why I sometimes drive dangerously fast.

I do things because I enjoy them. (well...not cleaning and laundry, but that is to be expected) I shoot, I work on cars, I ride and work on Harleys and ride without a helmet (oh no!), I do my own construction and repair on my home, I very much enjoy cooking, and most importantly, I've been married for 33 years to the same wonderful woman and have 2 wonderful adult children. In my opinion, all of these things can be discussed in the Bench Racing forum.

I don't really cruise around on the internet because I can get almost anything answered here. If you post off topic things in other forums, they get upset and either move them or delete the posting, so Bench Racing is our only hope for off topic discussions. A topic about smoking would also upset people, but I would probably just not read it because I quit smoking 16 years ago. Heck, I even posted about a blossom cookie that I baked that had eight Kisses on it, a V8 cookie, and nobody minded. (At least I don't think they did.)

Anyway, I have to go. It is 18 degrees, and I have a furnace motor to change.

Have the most fun that you possibly can every day,
Mark

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
Please do not take "malibumark" 's comments as the normal Cdn reaction to discussing guns on TC

In my opinion he is more than likely a misunderstanding Liberal (Demo)
and does not seem to understand that Firearms are for more than just killing other people
EG. Collecting / Sport shooting / Hunting / Protection / and discussing what someone may have a question on/about

Myself I am a Conservative (Repub) and have shot various types of guns for Sport & Hunting
and like a lot of guys on here I was very happy that Trump won and not just because he was a Republican !

Please note my numerous "Likes" above for a insight of how I and many of us Cdns think . IMHO

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
This probably should have been posted in Bench Racing where the offenders will see that you are not happy with them and give them a chance to correct their ways.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,330 Posts
sure

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
The area a person lives in has nothing to do with their opinions on off topic - non Chevelle threads being allowed or not.
In this case it does

Thus His comments in # 10 Post was the reason for my comments on some Canadians thinking

He lives in Canada where the pop is only around 30+ Million VS 300+ Million
and Canada has way to many Restrictions/Controls/Rules on Gun ownership VS the USA IMHO

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
I'm not new to Chevelles or any car,as Ive been racing and building cars all my life.Semi-retired now.I have had many muscle cars,all different brands as well.I'm sure this will be a pickle to some,but seeing gun threads on this site bothers me.Thats just how I feel.I don't see how this comes up in Bench Racing.Whenever I talk with my buddies about fast cars ,engine builds and braggin rights,guns never come up.I guess maybe because I'm north of the 49th.Of all the people we( my wife and I)know,we can count the gun owners on one hand.I can see gun threads on YellowBullit forums,but sure did not think it would be here.I belong to two other car on-line sites and have never seen gun threads pop up.There are a zillion gun sites on-line.I love talking about cars,I don't mix the two,and never will.Call me what ever you like,and if i'm odd man out,thats fine.It's just a vintage muscle car site,and there are many others.I just love Chevelles.I'm not sayin this to piss people off,but the way times are I probably already have.

I don't really consider myself a gun owner, although I do have two; I have an old bolt-action 22 rifle that was my grandfathers. Probably hasn't been fired in 35 years... I also have my family's Remington shotgun (870?). About 25 years since I fired that... When I was younger, I shot a 22 semi-auto rifle a handfull of times, and 30 years ago, I fired a few rounds at a rifle range for a Hunter's Safety course (never went hunting after that though).

I have NEVER fired a handgun, and to my knowledge, I have never even held one...

But I'd be upset if any website disallowed "gun talk"... Guns aren't really my thing either, but I am a staunch supporter of gun rights...

You statements don't piss me off in the least, those are your thoughts, just don't force them on everybody else...

I think the easiest thing to do, is just ignore any "gun" related threads, and enjoy everything else this site has to offer... Although, being on this site for 20 years, I don't recall seeing many "gun" threads, only a few...

While not an apple-to-apple comparison, I tend to view classic cars in a similar aspect to guns... There are MANY p[eople in our society that feel we should not allow classic cars (or guns). The Classics are unsafe ( no anti-lock, no crumple zones, more horsepower than necessary), use too much fuel, they pollute more than most newer cars, loud and obnoxious... etc, take you pick... Its similar to the "anti-gun" folks that see ALL guns as being bad for society...

And it seems that many (most?) classic car owners fall more into those groups where personal freedoms are of upmost importance, the "anti-nanny" people... Not a blanket statement, but it just seems to fit that most classic car owners/lovers are the type of individual that wants the government to stay out of their business... Legal, law-abiding guns owners want the same...

As for "Bench Racing", thats what that area is for...

Ironically, you can't talk about "street" racing in Bench Racing... I kind of understand the non-glorification of street racing, but I think nostalgic stories from 30-40-50+ years ago do little harm...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.