Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out tinkering in the garage tonight, and just doing simple stuff that takes a few minutes after I got home from work to get my car running again. Tonight's project started with just locating hoses, finding the ones that fit best then installing. But it got me to thinking.

I reused my old Big Block lower hose. No idea when I bought it. It fits good, and doesn't show any concerning signs. My upper hose, the big block fitment one I had was in poor shape, so I dug around and found my small block one and it was better so I cut about 2 inches off of one end and and it was good. I dug through my hose clamp collection and came up with all 4 that have fairly short tails when installed and 5/16 socket heads. The belt I put on last weekend was hanging in a collection on my wall, of maybe 10-12 belts, all of which have been used on either my car or my son's at some point.

I know some people would go buy these new. What do you do and why?

Devin

·
Premium Member
17,413 Posts
for me, it all depends...

For a driver, I go through my nice used parts...

But something nicer, I go with new...

On my current "restoration", I am debating the
restoration" belts (NPD, etc)... Somewhere around $35-$40 each...

I already have "new" repro hoses and clamps sitting for this project, although I think I also have both in "used" as well... But a few years back when assembling my '67 Elco, it was definitely into the used parts stash...

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Belts and Hoses, are easy to replace, for me its new. when they break or leak and your out driving its a pain in the a$$.
Easy insurance against break downs.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Considering how hot it gets here in Norcal in the summer, your older belts must be pretty dried out by now. If it were me , i would go with new belts and hoses. Why invite a breakdown with old dried out belts and hoses. JMO Terry

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Considering how hot it gets here in Norcal in the summer, your older belts must be pretty dried out by now. If it were me , i would go with new belts and hoses. Why invite a breakdown with old dried out belts and hoses. JMO Terry
Depends on where you're at. I'm on the coast near Eureka. I rarely see 80 degrees.

Devin

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I use 'em unless they're not in serviceable condition. I hate to have to waste anything. Just the way I was brought up. And, I hate to have stuff just cluttering the garage, when it isn't likely to be useful to me any time soon if ever. I try to craiglist it away as free stuff if i can, or take it over to metal recycler. You can even get a few bucks for a copper radiator.

Then again, you have to consider how, where, and when you're going to use the vehicle. If you're halfway between Nogales, AZ and Guaymas, Mexico in your trusty El Camino like I was one time 50 years ago; you would hate to have a fan belt or radiator hose fail.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I love re-purposing old parts and the like, but I also have EXTREMELY high standards for reliability. I take it as a personal insult if my vehicles fail along the road, ESPECIALLY if it is something I could have prevented. I may use my old hose and belt collection to determine the size or configuration I need for custom setups, but once I know what I need, I buy new, and I buy the best I can get. It's the same reason my HEI distributor ONLY has Delco parts in it.

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
I would not use old or used belts and hoses. Either will leave you stranded. When I replace, I put the old ones in the trunk as spares. They'll get rotated from the trunk as new ones are installed...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts