Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just beginning my research as to which "stuff" to use for my rear end. I am not knowlegable on this subject. What I do know is that I want it to hold up, I would like posi traction,I stand on the gas a lot and drive on the highway, and I've saved $1150.00. The car is a 69 Chevelle with the original rear end, 383 making 520hp, and a 700r4 trans. What I do not know, which is a lot by the way, is what will be the right/best "stuff" to buy and install. I say "stuff" because I do not know what is what. When people say, ring, pinion, gear, center section, bearing and so on I don't know what they mean. I will start researching these things but knew I should come here as well. Any suggestions/advise is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
978 Posts

·
Banned
1,435 Posts
Brian,
Assuming you've got a 10 bolt, I would recommend either a complete 12-bolt or an S-60 from Strange.
Currie enterprises has complete 12 bolts for $1k, Strange has complete S-60's for $1900.
You'd be okay with a modified 10-bolt, but if you're not worried about originality I'd definitely go with a 12-bolt or S-60.
Mike

·
Registered
978 Posts
You let me know where I can find a Currie enterprises complete 12 bolts for $1k and I'll get two. I've did alot of research. I can't find one Complete for under $1700. Most Currie Complete rears I've seen are 9 inches.
Seriously,, let me know..

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
i'd recommend searching the classifieds. get one built by someone who knows how. they also know what parts are best to use. tom

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
The original 8.2 10 bolt will hold up all right with street tires behind the engine and transmission that you have, if it is built right. I recommend an Eaton posi, 3.55 gears, a good installation kit with quality parts and a good set of after market axles with bearings and studs. Total for parts is about $975 plus shipping. This would bring you in under your budget, but you have to add labor to that for assembly. Labor is usually around $200 to $300. I have buit a few 8.2 rear ends like this and they are all holding up well so far. One is in a '69 Camaro with a 383 and a 4 speed, which has lifted the front wheels a few times with slicks. Still going strong. A 12 bolt would be best, but that is probably going to be more than what you have saved.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First of all, thanks to all of you for your advice!! I spent time today on the phone with currie and strange. Currie doesn't build anything for an 8.2, and of course the rep at strange told me 8.2 won't hold up. $1949 for complete dana 60 and $2165 for dana 60 with heavy duty clutches for posi. As I read other posts it seems that an eaton truetrac is the way to go over a traditional eaton posi, and suggestions? Also, the whole gear thing scares me, 3.08 now with the 700r4, if I go to the 3.55 or even the 3.73 what will my rpm be at 75 or 80? 28in tire. Not sure of the 700r4 ratio's. Anyway still researching. As always any additional help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big gear head says, "8.2 will hold up if built right". I'm hoping so as my budget only allows for this. Anyone disagree? Looking for some opinions on Eaton's truetrack vs. their traditional posi unit. Also I'm going to be doing the installation myself, haven't found a place on the internet that walks me through this process, with pictures of course, anyone know where I need to go? Have some questions above that weren't answered, all advice/experience is greatly appreciated! Please help. Thanks very much!!!

Brian

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Brian. BGH is right. A 8.2 with a good posi and after market axles is damn near as strong as a 12 bolt. Go with his suggestions. This site has the Eaton carrier for $434 Gears are us You can get your axles here. click Part #718-A102803 for $235.99 And I'd go with 3.55's click part #836-49-0015-1K $349.99

Also. Setting up a rear is not for the novice. You need to set the pinion depth correctly. Then shim the carrier properly to get the correct contact between the ring and pinion gears. If this isn't done right, Your gears will wear out very quickly. My suggestion is to find some one that knows how to do this to set it up for you.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
The Truetrac was made by Tractech (makers of the Detroit Locker) until Eaton bought them receintly. The Truetrac has been around for a long time. In my opinion it is best for road racing and auto cross. I like the Eaton Posi best for most street/strip use. Both will work fine for what you want to do. They are both close on price and strength.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
i think with some simple calculations you will talk your self out of building a 8.2 10 bolt. with the prices furball had mentioned 434 posi, 235 axles, 350 gears, 100 full bearing kit, and figuring 200 for setting it up . you are looking at around 1320.00 to rebuild a 8.2 . for the same prices or less you can buy parts for a 12 bolt. in the end, it is stronger and worth more when it is done. used 8.2 rears do not sell well. i recommend a 12 bolt. tom

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for continuing to help me out guys. What about a place I can read on the installation of my new rear end components? I'd really like to get some info before I start taking the old one apart and putting the components back in. I assume there is measuring involved and so on. As always thanks again. Brian

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Brian. As I understand it. True track is built buy Detroit locker and Eaton bought Detroit. I run the Eaton in my car (439BB, 4speed, 12bolt, 4.56's) putting out about 475hp. Never had a problem. I've heard stories about the bolts backing out of the true track and destroying rears.
Heres an artical about installing gears in a 10 bolt. click

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Just glad I could help. You'll return the favor. One day someone will ask a question that you know the answer to and you'll help them. Thats just the name of the game here.
I've learned a lot of things from just reading posts. Then down the line someone else will ask a similar question and I know the answer or where to look for it.
Brian, Just spend a little time reading others posts and you'll be amazed at what you'll learn.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're right Scott, from reading tonight I've learned I probably should'nt do the rearend job myself. Probably a long shot, but does anyone know someone experiensed in the Kansas City area interested in helping me install new posi, gears, axles and hardware. If it's any consulation I've got a brand new 30x40 shop out back with a lift and all the goodies. Anyway, haven't seen anyone on here yet from around K.C. but you never know, it's worth a try. Seems like I've been saying thanks Scott all night, thanks Scott!
Brian

1 - 20 of 25 Posts