Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Looks like some strange issues with my brake lights. It appears that he circuit is intact.
No blown fuse, but no brake lights either.

Here's the deal. Upon researching some old posts here, someone suggested to try "wiggling" the turn signal lever, then appyling the brakes.
Sure enough, they worked! The lights came on for about 2 or 3 more "brakes" then quit again. And, yes just a few days ago, they worked fine.

So, knowing that the circuit is working and there are no blown bulbs, what can I test? I understand that there is a curved connector on the steering column that can go bad or get knocked loose? Is this switch difficult to replace? Any other points of failure? What do you think? What have you experienced? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

-Henry

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
What year vehicle has the problem? Standard (non-adjustable) steering column or tilt?

The filament for the brakes in the brake light bulb is the same filament used in lighting the turn signals. So brake light current is directed through the turn signal switch each time you apply the brakes. So you can have a problem in the turn signal switch itself that might cause the brake lights not to work.

It sounds as if your problem is in the turn signal switch. Function locking steering columns (1969 and up) are a bit more complicated to disassemble to reach the switch than the older columns.

If the switch contacts are not badly burnt, it might be possible to just clean them up to get them to work consistantly again.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Jim's got a thought. Perhaps it's in the switch cam. If it's a 69 and up these are fairly common items at the junkyard. Used up into the 80s.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I think that the service turn signal switch is GM #1997988. It is still available through GM dealers.

One way that the Chevrolet shop manual says to check if your switch is bad is to just disconnect the steering column harmonica connector from the body harness. Now snap the new signal switch connector to the body harness in its place. If your brake lights work correctly, the problem is in your old switch and you now have to disassemble your steering column to replace it.

Of course, if the problem still persists, the problem is elsewhere and now you have to see if the dealer will take the switch back.

Let me know if you determine if my switch part number is correct or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts