Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which is the best and most cost effective of the both. im just wondering, i am in college and i xan spend to much and need to make my bed of my elky look better

·
Premium Member
7,025 Posts
I may be wrong about this (it's happened before), but I don't believe that anyone makes a "drop-in" bedliner for the El Camino. If they did, I anticipate they would have difficulty securing it due to the lack of stake pockets.

At any rate, typically, the "drop-in" liners are less expensive than "spray-in". However, on an El Camino, due to the inherent leaky nature of the beds, I think a spray-in liner would be very desirable. I intend to put one in mine.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I have the spray on "rhino liner" in my truck, the stuff is 1/4" thick and is super tough. I recently (by accident!) dropped a large heavy object on one inner fenderwell which dented it but did not crack the spray on liner. I would go with the spray on also because with a regular plastic liner things seem to slide around real easy which is a pain if you have to stop fast in traffic.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have the spray on. If I had to do it over again I would go with a drop in. Far cheaper. Also, while the spray on will prevent scratches, it will not prevent dents. I believe that the raised ridges in a plastic liner will provide more cushion to prevent a dent.
The spray on does look far better though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I saw a product at the Pomona NHRA show that looked and felt like a spray in liner but was acually from a paint can and roller. I might still have the info at home...I will look tonight. It was alot cheaper than spray in liners and looked and felt pretty much the same.

------------------
67 Malibu Road Race Conversion

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
You can get the "Rolled-On" bed coating from Autozone. Product is made by Dupli Color and is black. There are 2 parts to the product and it has to be mixed like epoxy is. Comes with a pan and a large loop/nap roller. Looks very good in the backs of the trucks I have seen it used on. Would make for a very good undercoating I think as I've seen the Rhino stuff used in the magazines for underbody work...

------------------
'65 Maliblue 406SBC/PG TC #811
'94 Camaro 1LE (original owner)
'97 HD Softtail Springer

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Well, the spray in or paint on stuff may be fine but after what I just went through straightening the bed of my elky I would have hated to remove that stuff and repair the bed! A solution to the sliding problem is to use a heavy bed mat on top of the liner.

Another thing is they came from the factory with the bed the same color as the body. I'm going to paint mine to match the body and use a good heavy bed mat. And no, I wont be hauling any concrete blocks!
www.chevelles.com/showroom/olepaintsbed.jpg

------------------
Elcaminos are special!

I'd rather walk around with a Chevrolet hubcap in my hand than drive a Ford

work in progress
Big James Elky(AKA Ol Paint)
www.chevelles.com/showroom/workgoeson1.jpg

[This message has been edited by Big James 4XL (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well thanks for all the replys. i still dont know which one to get. I think i will finsih puting my stereo system in before i start this task
thanks for all your help

·
Premium Member
2,909 Posts
I just put the Herculiner in my elky this week. It's the brush/roll-on type. Found it at a really good price at "Sam's". Turned out pretty good for first try. You need to be careful to avoid overlaps, though. They show.
I'm putting a third coat on the bed to fix that.

Probably won't be hauling concrete blocks...but I'm sure it'll haul some plants and mulch when my wife takes it to the homecenter.

------------------
"Wrinkles only go where the smile has been!"

Danny Wooldridge
Member #1129
69 el_Camino

·
Registered
622 Posts
A friend put Herculiner in his pickup - very good looking and he is happy with it.
I'm putting Herculiner in my ElCamino this weekend.
Cost is around $99 or less for the kit
------------------
Make it the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!

[This message has been edited by 283v8 (edited 05-04-2001).]

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a Pendaliner drop in liner in the box of my truck. It does help prevent dents etc... because of the raised ridges in the plastic but the big disadvantage is that junk get's under the liner and with the friction from the liner it "sands" the box itself promoting rust. Everything also slides around just like a regular steel box.

A friend of mine has a rubber mat on the floor of his pickup and it holds everything nicely and protects the floor too. Unfortunately it does not cover the wheel wells etc so they get damaged carrying material.

When I replace the liner I will be using a profesionally sprayed in liner such as ArmaGuard or so. That stuff is tough as nails and can be colour matched. This is ideal for "Heavy Duty Use" but if you are only going to do light duty then Rhyno Coatings or other similar would be perfect.

Hope it helps

------------------
Steve Soltesz
Team Chevelle Gold Member #37

68 Beaumont (396/TH350 Street/Strip)
69 Beaumont (307/TH350)
80 Camaro (Mrs.64's 355/TH350 Show'n Go)
64 Malibu SS (ZZ4/TH350, Show'n Go) Sold to 64Elcamino.

My WebSite (To be Updated Soon)

Favourite Quote: "Let out the Clutch Buddy, the Fan won't pull it!"

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Canuck64ss:
I have a Pendaliner drop in liner in the box of my truck. It does help prevent dents etc... because of the raised ridges in the plastic but the big disadvantage is that junk get's under the liner and with the friction from the liner it "sands" the box itself promoting rust. Everything also slides around just like a regular steel box.

[A friend of mine has a rubber mat on the floor of his pickup and it holds everything nicely and protects the floor too. Unfortunately it does not cover the wheel wells etc so they get damaged carrying material./quote]

[/b]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The bed mats will cause some of the sanding effect also. I admit the bed coatings look good but this is one time I'm going back like stock, painted, and even a bed mat for the light if any hauling I will do with my elky.

------------------
Elcaminos are special!

I'd rather walk around with a Chevrolet hubcap in my hand than drive a Ford

work in progress
Big James Elky(AKA Ol Paint)
www.chevelles.com/showroom/workgoeson1.jpg

[This message has been edited by Big James 4XL (edited 05-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Big James 4XL (edited 05-04-2001).]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i will most likly go with the Herculiner kit after im done finshing my curent project. thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My Rhino Liner in my long bed truck cost about 500 dollars. The "extras" add up fast. They also said the color will fade over time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
check out www.linexcorp.com for additional info on spray on types.

------------------
Dave MacGregor
Coquitlam,BC,Canada

Team Chevelle #27
70 Malibu 454

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.