Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading all the posts about aftermarket bed molding kits,the general opinion is they do not fit well.
Question is: GROUND UP has a kit for 259 and ORIGINAL PARTS has a kit for 399.
Are the more than one company making these kits and is one any better than the other?
Thanks Bill

·
Registered
940 Posts
I think you can find original cheaper than that and it fits better. I use the classified here in the wanted section here. I bet some has what you need.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
i bought opgi and then went on fine, EXCEPT long sides stuck up on both sides where they meet corner pcs in rear and one corner pc tab broke off after 6 months. i wrote opgi and they did not even respond. so my originals had a little hail damage and nicks and i am going to have them redone. just ask great people on this site and you'll get more than enough good names of people who restore these mldgs. if you don't have original watch e-bay and swap meets for a real set of facory pcs and have them redone.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I didn't have the tail gate piece, so I bought that from opgi and the end pieces, fit fine. I took the dings and dents out of the side rails myself. It is really not hard to do, just takes a little time. Now they look like new.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had my original corner pieces restored/rechromed. I bought the after market long bed side pieces. The long pieces fit good. I also purchased the aftermarket corner pieces that are still brand new in the box. Why are they still in the box?? Cause the fit like........... wait they don't fit at all!!! Reuse your old ones or buy used parts and have them redone. The front bed piece and the molding on top of the tailgate can get beat up but, again, if yours are restoreable at all do it, or restore some good original used ones. it is worth the money and worth avoiding the frustration. Scott

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
We had our die cast corner pieces restored at a cost of about $700. At least I know that they will fit and the finish was fantastic to say the least. Might have to do a lot of polishing to make the paint look as good. I e-mailed GM USA and GM Canada about the quality of their licensed parts, specifically, the '69 Chevelle fenders that I got. Apparently they don't care, or at least the people that I contacted didn't see to. From the answers that I got back, I'm not even sure that the ladies even understood what I was saying. Hard to believe because I don't know words fancy enough to confuse very many people over the age of eight. I'm sure that yanking the licenses of a manufacturer or two would get their attention very quickly. Let GM know how you feel. Their reputation for quality needs all the help it can get at this stage of the game especially with Toyota breathing down their necks.
A word to the wise: Use your original parts where ever possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts