Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,124 Posts
I have not seen the cheapies at Harbor Freight, but another local tool discount house in OKC has one and it is worthless. It has so many cracks/openings that sand (or blasting media) would be all over the place in no time. It is IMPORTANT that a blast cabinet close/seal completely to prevent a mess.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have a big one that Harbor Freight sells. I really like it. It goes on sale for $169 I think. The only problem I had was with the cheesy hose that came with it. I went to the hardware store and got some 5/8 heater hose, and a elbow. Works like a charm. It comes with a light, port hole for a shop vac,(very important if you want to see inside)peel away lenses over the glass, gloves, the gun and anything else you need. It's not messy at all. I can't see trying to make one out of plywood, and piece it together, and end up with a eye sore. You can have a nice one for less than $200. Hope this helps.

------------------
Update. I just looked at the Harbor Freight catalog, and the one I have is the $300 model at the top of the page. Like I said , I paid less then $200 for it on sale. You might want to call a store and see when asale ishttp://72sselcamino1.tripod.com/calscaminos/

[This message has been edited by 72sselcamino (edited 06-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 72sselcamino (edited 06-01-2001).]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hunter

I have the same one that 72EC has, I got mine on one of there 1/2 off sales.

They have a bench top on sale right now for $69.99 #38440 a friend of mine bought it to do small motor parts and it works great, I think it is only on sale in the stores and not at there web site.

My nephew made one out of a dryer drum and welded legs to it.

[This message has been edited by Greg 65 SS (edited 06-01-2001).]

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought a fairly expensive one - $600 at Grainger's. It's more trouble than its worth for steel parts. I spent a bunch of time blasting front end parts (sway bar, A-arms, springs, etc.) and when my back was about to give out I took the parts to a sandblaster and in 5 minutes they were finished - looked better than the bead blasting and they charged me $20 bucks for the whole job.

Now for soft metals, like an aluminum manifold, they work real well but you have to be careful not to pit the softer metals.

Bottom line - I would not purchase one again.

------------------
Thanks,
ccrider
TC #:267
ACES #:3379
66 Chevelle SS
My Chevelle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.