Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a question that I think you guys can answer. I have acquired a BB and if I have checked the correct letters it is a 402. The letters on the block are CLB. If I have decoded them correctly this motor should be a 300hp 402 from a 71 Chevelle. Do you guys come up with the same? The block also says passenger-Hi perfomance on the back where your flywheel would be. The heads are also stamped Hi-Perfomance. So, if you guys could help me figure this out it would be a great help.

------------------
Thanks guys,
1badchev

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,699 Posts
You are correct sir. 300 hp 402 from '71 Chevelle with a Turbohydro 400 trans. Many oval port BB heads had "hi-perf" cast into them. You need the head casting number to really tell what the application was.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS Murphy's Law is always in effect

G

·
I have the same CLB block but don"t know the headcasting # as of yet. I would like to compare your #'s to mine. I also have a headcasting decoding book. Maybe I could help you out, my e_mail is [email protected]

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Being this is my first time working on a motor, do you have to use gasket sealer on all gaskets ie: fuel pump, headers, water pump, valve covers,etc. And if so , one side or both. Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Fuel pump & water pump...both sides,,,valve cover side of valve cover gasket(so it can be removed for adjustment if any is needed),,,and I dont use anything on Header gaskets...thats how I do it,someone is sure to disagree

Bob

------------------
Bob West
Monett,Mo.
1972 Malibu,461 cid.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Robert
I disagree, The way you discribed it is exactly the way it should be done

------------------
Harley