Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a 454 engine in my 70 El camino with auto trans. The engine has about 10.5 to 1 compression. Ran the engine on a test stand with a new rebuilt starter. Started engine several times.

Installed engine in car a few days ago. Cranked engine and it started. Then shut engine off. Last night I finished all the final details. Hit the key, engine cranked slowly than heard a screeching sound, turned off key, still screeched for a few seconds then stopped. Engine did not start. Looked under car, part of starter nose on the floor.

Snap ring on starter shaft is about a 1/2 inch out of groove, nothing else on shaft. I did not hook up the bracket because I couldn't get the bolt started with the Hooker headers. I can't see where the gear meshes with the flywheel because of the Headers and the Auto Trans housing. Is there a "ballpark" shimming number? Where would I get a cast iron nose I saw mentioned in this column?

Thanks, John.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
Cast iron nose is for lrg flywheel manual trans,not auto trans.

Not using a factory starter brace along with having a loose starter bolt/s are 2 things that will cause an aluminum starter nose to break.

Scott

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
BUBA/L J,thatnks for setting me straight as i had forgotton the auto trans camn also run a 168 flexplate so the cast iron nose could be used.

In that case i would still use a cast rion nose for more strength along with the stock starter brace to eusure he doesn't end up breaking the starter mount flange off the block which is a real bad thing to have happen.

Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.