Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm looking at picking up a March serpentine kit for my Big Block. This is the one I'm looking at:
http://www.marchperf.com/pg28.html

However hood clearance can be an issue and thats where I need some help. Could someone measure from the center of their Big Block waterpump to approximately where the hood would be when closed? It states you need 14 1/2 inches. I don't have the engine installed yet, so I can't do it. I will be running a cowl induction hood on the car (factory type). I will be using the proper motor mounts, so the engine will sit as low as possible.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I went out and measured mine before I realized that I'm on the Chevelle board, not the Camaro board. On a big block 69 Camaro there's only 10.5-11" from the cowl hood to the center of the pump. I'm sure the Chevelle will have more but I doubt it'll be that much more.

March makes a couple of other serpentine kits for the big blocks to include a/c, p.s., and alt that are much lower. One is the outward mount and the other isn't in my catalog but it's an inward mount set-up that's pretty new. This was the one I was going to switch to on the Camaro.

Good luck.

Jody

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Anyone with a Chevelle? I can get them for a good price which is why I'm asking. Heck if you measure on a 70-72 Chevelle with a big block and send me the results.. I'll give ya $5 via paypal. HELP!

Thanks

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
OK, I measured mine - I've got a stock 396 with the cowl hood, and I measured from the center of the pump shaft up. There isn't a chance in H*ll of that system fitting a chevelle with a stock hood. I estimate about 11 1/2" up to the bottom of the hood. That extra 3" or so makes a big difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.