Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend recently got a BBC block with the lifters bored for a .903D lifter and was unable to find a flat tappet lifter for a BBC with a .903D. I've done some searching for him and couldn't turn up anything about whether or not a .903D flat tappet is made for a BBC. Does anyone know of a company that makes them or is going to a roller the only real option.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
My friend recently got a BBC block with the lifters bored for a .903D lifter and was unable to find a flat tappet lifter for a BBC with a .903D. I've done some searching for him and couldn't turn up anything about whether or not a .903D flat tappet is made for a BBC. Does anyone know of a company that makes them or is going to a roller the only real option.
welcome to the site
these may be an option...
Howards, Tool Steel Mechanical Lifters, Chrysler V8 .904"

·
Premium Member
11,060 Posts
Here ya go..

Whether Ford- or Chrysler-bore size, there is a possible increase with hydraulic or solid lifter cams. There is NO performance gain by going to larger roller lifter diameters, although there may be a strength advantage to larger roller axles, made possible by larger roller wheels. I understand that some Pro-Stock teams are running 1.000" diameter roller wheels, but I do not know for sure.
What I do know for sure is that the cam master MUST be cut-out for the correct base circle diameter and roller wheel diameter, or else the lift/duration curve will measure "funny"...... This is not true of hydraulic or solid lifter cams.
I have made lots of BBC cams using .904" solid lifter profiles---You must use the AMC lifters for the correct oiling. I am not sure about the BBC, but the SBC takes special care in installing the cam, so that one cylinder's lifter does not get picked up by another cylinder's lobe, at exactly the wrong time for anything but a big explosion.....
I do have .904" VooDoo hydraulic designs, and working on .904" solid VooDoo designs, and also have my legacy .904" solid designs.......
The lifter bores must be sleeved and re-bored.....

UDHarold

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With regards to using an AMC lifter, does the smaller band around the lifter where the oil inlet is make a difference?

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Here ya go..

Whether Ford- or Chrysler-bore size, there is a possible increase with hydraulic or solid lifter cams. There is NO performance gain by going to larger roller lifter diameters, although there may be a strength advantage to larger roller axles, made possible by larger roller wheels. I understand that some Pro-Stock teams are running 1.000" diameter roller wheels, but I do not know for sure.
What I do know for sure is that the cam master MUST be cut-out for the correct base circle diameter and roller wheel diameter, or else the lift/duration curve will measure "funny"...... This is not true of hydraulic or solid lifter cams.
I have made lots of BBC cams using .904" solid lifter profiles---You must use the AMC lifters for the correct oiling. I am not sure about the BBC, but the SBC takes special care in installing the cam, so that one cylinder's lifter does not get picked up by another cylinder's lobe, at exactly the wrong time for anything but a big explosion.....
I do have .904" VooDoo hydraulic designs, and working on .904" solid VooDoo designs, and also have my legacy .904" solid designs.......
The lifter bores must be sleeved and re-bored.....

UDHarold
Going from a .842 to .904 with the same cam and stock size lifters .700 or .750 wheel on a the .904 lifter with an .810 or .850 wheel does pick up on the .020 .050 and up through so it does make a difference in that aspect. Plus if your blue printing the lifter bores compared to OEM placement it a huge gain some times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts