Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is normal oil pressure for a big block chevy. i have a hi-vol oil pump. at a hot idle it is 18, going down the road or when i rev it up even just a little it goes to 60. what is your bbc at hot idle??????????

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
That sounds about the same as my big block.
Guy

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
If you have have an HV/HP pump those numbers are low. Do you have loose bearing clearances on the crank or running the lifters with the oiling hole in the bottom? other oil pressure reducer like a remote filter setup?

What does it do when cold?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I get 20# at idle 210 degrees water temp, cold start 70, cruising 2500rpm 40-45# Shell 15/40 rotella, with remote filter/ STP HP filter, Crower SD roller lifters with Hippo, Manley hi volume pump. If my water temp is 190 the pressure is 25-30#.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
is that rotella oil realy good. i have never used it, but i might try it.

probably one of the most recomended oils for solid lifter, solid roller cams with high spring pressures. there are additives in rotella that other oils don't have because they harm catalytic converters.

·
Registered
159 Posts
probably one of the most recomended oils for solid lifter, solid roller cams with high spring pressures. there are additives in rotella that other oils don't have because they harm catalytic converters.
My solid flat tappet loves zinc. It's Rotella in mine also. I've still got another 2 seasons worth of the old formula before I run out.

18# at idle seems kind of low. I've got my Auto Meter warning light set at 30# and my pressure never gets under 40#.

·
Registered
1972 Chevelle convertible, 350, factory 4spd, console, buckets, a/c, burnt orange.
184 Posts
My '72 454 has a Melling HV oil pump. It ran about the same as yours, 18 at idle, 60 at high rev, 40 at cruising speed. My oil pressure dropped off to 9 at idle. I tore apart engine, found 1 bad lifter, 1 bad cam lobe, and debris scored all my crank bearings. I have a buddy with an old 350 with a HV/HP oil pump. He tells me his never comes below 60. The motor is 13 years old, sprayed with NOS since new. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Mine idles hot a 50 pounds and runs 60-70 under light load and rpm. On cold starts it pegs the gage. 50 hot at idle.

I do drill a hole in the block behind the cam gear to allow high pressure oiling of the block to gear surface, another 1/8th hole in the distributor housing to lube the lower bushing and a .030 groove in the side of the distributor to lube the cam gear and I still get 50 hot.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My solid flat tappet loves zinc. It's Rotella in mine also. I've still got another 2 seasons worth of the old formula before I run out.

#.
Shell is still producing the old formula. The auto supply houses are just jumping the gun and already switching over to the 2007 designation. People who want the old shell Rotella have to go to the oil supplier and they still can get or stock the old formula of rotella.
Not taking a chance I picked up 80 quarts of the old formula but was assured that it would be available for the next 2 years.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Assuming you have correct bearing clearances I suspect your lifters. Isky red zone lifters have differant oiling options. The ones that oil the roller through an entire revolution will do just what your engine does.Standard roller lifters will have about 20 psi more pressure.you should be ok with what you have.

·
Registered
13,382 Posts
I have a similiar situation. Have 50-60 at start up, hot idle dropped to 20# or so but come right back up by 1500 - 2000, have straight 30 wt in there now. I suspect the NAPA Gold filter may be the culprit or at least a contributing factor. Reading some past threads on the topic, most likely the bypass opens due to excess pressure when cold, but as the oil warms up and thins out, it probably closes. I wonder if the filtering media in that filter is just too fine? I do know my clearances were very tight. Running a hyd roller, I did drill out the cam tunnel end plugs.

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
'66 396; standard volume pump, high pressure spring, solid flat tappets with oiling holes, factory canister filter set up using AC filter, stock bypass, and 10-30 Mobil 1. Idles hot at 25#, and at 2500 it runs at around 45#.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts