Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP !!!!!!!! I just finished the bottom end of my 70 396/350 and am installing the new timing set. It has slack on the sides???? It does not hand off the bottom gear, but the sides have probably 1/8 or more slop ?????? is this normal for a BBC ??? I have talked to the original owner and the engine had never been apart so I know it was not lined honed.

any help or info would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
if it didn't have that slop it would after the first 100 miles.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
was the engine line honed?
When we line hone we only take appox. .003 off the caps and in a perfect world we are only moving the center to center distance .0015. Remember that GM rough bores there cam tunnels in and when the under size cam bearings are installed the center to center distance is corrected when the bore the cam tunnel with the bearings installed.

We find on the SBC and BBC up to .014 out of location and on the blocks we find more then .005 from blue print we will go in and blue print bore thecam tunnel back to spec.

Cloyes say 1/4 of play is what they want to see on there chains.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I agree with Ratbones. It should be fairly tight(i.e. no slack). You may be able to force the chain an 1/8 inch, but there should be no slop to speak of. My cloyes has about 400 passes on it and on the freshen this winter it is still nice a tight. This is a true roller/billet Hex-a-just set.

Now the cheap non true roller that came off after probably 5,000 street miles and 5 seasons of racing had about 1/8-1/4 inch of slop and measure in degrees was about 1-2 crank degrees.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
ANY chain drive should have some slack so oil can get to the pins. I would be more concerned with no slack.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Too tight and you would not be able to get the cam gear on esily. Too tight and the links are always under stress, and stress is bad.

Is the timingg change being resused? Did you buy it in a japanese flee market? If the anwers are both no, then you should be AOK. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When we line hone we only take appox. .003 off the caps and in a perfect world we are only moving the center to center distance .0015. Remember that GM rough bores there cam tunnels in and when the under size cam bearings are installed the center to center distance is corrected when the bore the cam tunnel with the bearings installed.

We find on the SBC and BBC up to .014 out of location and on the blocks we find more then .005 from blue print we will go in and blue print bore thecam tunnel back to spec.

Cloyes say 1/4 of play is what they want to see on there chains.

thanks to all for the input. Just for an FYI, all sets are new and complete. I 1st used a compCams kit, then an Edelbrock set and then went a bought a "cheapy" from advance auto and all were the same !!!!

G

·
Geez guys, come on, you don't want to start out with 1/8" slack right off the bat. It's only going to get looser as it breaks in. With that much slop, your cam timing and ignition timing will be constantly changing as you are on and off the gas.......not what you'd like to have. I couldn't sleep nights if mine was that loose. I've personally only seen that much slop on worn engines. My Lunati true double roller timing set on my new 540 using a Dart Big M block, is fairly snug with no actual slop at all.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Geez guys, come on, you don't want to start out with 1/8" slack right off the bat. It's only going to get looser as it breaks in. With that much slop, your cam timing and ignition timing will be constantly changing as you are on and off the gas.......not what you'd like to have. I couldn't sleep nights if mine was that loose. I've personally only seen that much slop on worn engines. My Lunati true double roller timing set on my new 540 using a Dart Big M block, is fairly snug with no actual slop at all.
LOL. Mine has about 1/4" to 3/8" and runs fine. I've run the same gears and chain in 2 engines, fairly loose in both. With 1/8", it's a non issue. JMHO.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
We use ALL Cloyes Hes-A-Just on all our circle track engines and after 2 years of running they seem to be fine. Maybe a non quality chain may tend to strech more then a good chain.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE>>>>> Just loaded up the short block and hauled it over to Wayne at the machine shop I use (he specializes in drag and roundy round engines) and he looked it over and also took some measurements and all IS GOOD.
As some else had stated in a previous comment, it is due to "CORE SHIFT" and this is NOT uncommon.
THANK GOODNESS !!!!!:hurray:
Hopefully the weather hold up and we can get the Elky painted in the next 2 weeks or so and I can get this bad boy bolted in.

Thanks to all for their input. Jim:beers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts