Chevelles.com banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Heres an interesting side note not related to the intake problem.

I broke an ARP crank bolt off today. ARP 135-2503.

The threaded stem barely makes contact with the giant head!
Look:

A plain old grade 8 bolt has much more "meat" where the head meets the threaded shaft.

I called ARP on the phone today.

The warranty guy got mad at me. He said he sold 300 of them last year and not a single one broke.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

Look:

A plain old grade 8 bolt has much more "meat" where the head meets the threaded shaft.

The warranty guy got mad at me. He said he sold 300 of them last year and not a single one broke.
Was talking to a guy at the track on Sunday and he was telling me that his old BBC broke a main stud like that and ARP said he over torqued it. He now uses a different band of bolts.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Was talking to a guy at the track on Sunday and he was telling me that his old BBC broke a main stud like that and ARP said he over torqued it. He now uses a different band of bolts.
Thats what the guy first said.He blamed me for over torquing first. Then said the warranty wont cover it if the fastener was removed and re torqued.
Ive spent an arm and a leg with ARP for these two engines and they gave me such a bad attitude when I asked for their help with a defective bolt. That stupid crank bolt is 37.99!! it should be twice as strong as a regular grade 8 but its 1/2 as strong.

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts

Look:

Wow!

I never used that arp crank bolt. I always used the 12 point.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-135-2501 No problems and seems to be different and better design vs that bolt with the giant head.

Or just the gold mr gasket bolt if it was more budget.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mrg-946g

The intake will work fine with those gaskets, used same intake with oem heads and no problems. Sounds like two nice builds :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
12,639 Posts

Did you send ARP a picture of the bolt ? I have never used one of those bolts but it almost looks like it was not made properly. I cant believe they just depend on a press fit. I would think it should be welded ??

Did it break just installing it ?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Did you send ARP a picture of the bolt ? I have never used one of those bolts but it almost looks like it was not made properly. I cant believe they just depend on a press fit. I would think it should be welded ??

Did it break just installing it ?
I did send them photos yesterday. Still waiting to hear from them.

It looks like a press fit but I think it was one solid piece of metal. The square hole is too deep in the head. Nothing left for the stem to stay attached to.

I have been using the bolt on two different engines. I use it to hand rotate the crank while I’m working on them. It has a square drive in the middle so the ratchet stays in it the whole time. I was going to leave this bolt in the one engine. I moly lubed it and went to torque it to 110lbs like the instructions say and broke before 110.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts