Team Chevelle banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for all the input,lots of good recommendations. I was a little shocked that all the ones I found only the Hedman were made in USA. I know the ACP (Stah)l,Lemmons,and American racing are, and a little more than this car will need. The Coated Hedman as others have stated looks like a good option. Hedman also makes a stainless version #62190,however as soon as you put Power steering as an option it only suggests the # 68198???

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Can anyone confirm that these headers are all made off shore. No where does it say made in USA??
Dougs
Patriots
Doug Thorley

·
Premium Member
7,329 Posts
I think Dougs are made in Mexico, probably patriot too since pertronix is owner of both.
My set of Dougs was very nicely made and the fit was best of all brands I tried, but just as the hedmans they rusted. So went cheap chinese stainless. After some modification they worked. Stainless headers
and for a while ago I bought a set of stainless work headers but havnt tried them yet.

·
Premium Member
9,151 Posts
"Check out American Race Headers, USA made and SS"

So I did check out ARH and it seems they only make headers for SEMA level builds.Does $1500 for a set of headers sound reasonable ? plus add in another $1850 for the header back exhaust and it's almost 3500 for the exhaust system alone.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I ordered both the 2” headers and 3” SS exhaust for my 67 on July 7, ARH is shipping to me next week. Lemons 2 1/8” are $1800 for mild steel w/o any coating. I thought ARH SS exhaust was high priced compared to others and vs cost of their headers. But I went with them since everything was included and I’d have a complete system from exhaust port to tailpipe. Time will tell if the extra $ was worth it. But I am in the camp of trying to do it right the first time

·
Registered
73 Posts
I checked out Stainless Works as the are 10 miles down the road. Lead time was too long, no info from anyone else using that I could find to confirm fitment on 67 chevelle, flanged fittings, $
Too many questions and not enough answers vs ARH system. I wanted to go with SW but more data and better feeling w/ ARH

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Best headers for me are the ones that people sell cheap on the net. Have not paid over $150 for a set of good headers in over 10 years.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
The main thing for me is heat in the engine bay for non coated headers, I just watched a program on the internet where they had coated and non coated and shot both with a heat gun where the header comes out of the header flange, non coated 800 to 900 degrees, coated 250. Easy choice for me

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
There really not a good idea for a street car. They heat the engine compartment and cab up pretty good. Then they hang down and you'll be worrying about them dragging. The big block exhaust manifolds are pretty decent manifolds. I would get a new 2-1/2" exhaust system with a pair of Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers I like the #17749 muffler. They flow as well as most glass packs but sound so much better..

Back in the early seventies, I bought the whole system from Douglass exhaust systems. It came with specially made headers, mandrill bent pipes, Custom mufflers called Douglass SS. This system sounded so nice on my 66 GTO. It had a 421, with trip Holley's , and a Nunzi 2041 cam. Th-400, 3:08 12 bolt. That car was one of the most coolest cars I ever had or saw.. It was deep Plum (Chevelle color), black interior, ET Mag wheels.

At the drag strip one day I was talking with some of the guys about better handling, how could I get it to handle better. This old timer said take the upper control arms off and swap them from side to side. This put the car into positive caster. I had it set for 8 drivers side, 8.5 Passenger side. WOW what a difference. The steering wheel was rock steady at 120 mph!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts