Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 with a BBC and looking for header input. I did a search and the Elite 68198 and Dougs came up numerous times. This is a street car that may make a blast down the track. I am concerned with header coatings because when I look around they all look like crap after a couple years. Now the elite and Dougs only come ceramic coated. I was considering non coated and painting every few years. Thanks for any input.

Appreciated.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I have been told that if you run a car lean it will ruin the coating according to Sanderson headers. Me I just paint them with POR 20 bake it on and run them. For the street 1 3/4" tube size is the best. 2" are torque killers.

·
Premium Member
7,266 Posts
I went with stainless since all coated I tried rusted after 5+years.

Reactions: 68Chevele

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I have a 66 with a BBC and looking for header input. I did a search and the Elite 68198 and Dougs came up numerous times. This is a street car that may make a blast down the track. I am concerned with header coatings because when I look around they all look like crap after a couple years. Now the elite and Dougs only come ceramic coated. I was considering non coated and painting every few years. Thanks for any input.

Appreciated.
I've got 1000 miles on my coated headers and they still look pretty good. The ceramic coating place said to polish them with mothers if they dulled.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,105 Posts
Can't speak for fitment on a 66 but Summit brand painted 1 3/4" fit my 68 with an iron head 454 perfect, I have Patriot coated 1 7/8" on the 489 in it now that was dyno'ed with them and they still look great

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same here on my BBC. Stainless - ceramic coated - in/out - done by Jet Hot.
Still look brand new after 5 yrs. Live in New England.
What brand and part # for stainless?
Thanks for your time

·
Premium Member
12,951 Posts
My recomendation is to go with Hedman 68198. The coating helps keep under hood temps down. There is not a paint on this planet that will hold up to the heat produced by headers. The coating that comes on the headers will not last indefinately but will hold up better than anything else. After several years you can remove them and send them to Jet Hot which will give them a life time warranty. That is the best sen ario that one can hope for. A great fitting set of headers for a reasonable price and they are ceramic coated which is the best choice IMO.
I had a set of 68198 on my car. I removed them for a $2,500.00 set of Lemons headers which are very good headers but the ceramic coating is scratched to hellband back from the struggle to get them installed on my big block. Trust me when I say The 68198 headers are way easier to install.

·
Premium Member
12,951 Posts
Forgot to mention the Hedman elites come with a thicker flange and heavier gauge steel for the tubes that a lot of other brands. If I ever run into the situation where I have to remove my engine again I am goi g to remove my Lemons and reinstall my old Hedman Elites. But if I do that I will probably get them recoated after running them for 8 or 9 years the original coating is showing slight wear.

·
Premium Member
1966 Chevelle S.S
502 Posts
I have Hooker headers on mine, yaa they hang low but they have been on the car for over 20 years . and they are bent in at places so they fit my car lol....I pulled the engine this past year ....so I sent they back to Jet Hot and they recoated them for me ....and since Jet Hot did them before the cost was only half .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
They are custom fabricated fender well headers & collectors. All the tubes are separate. Had Jet Hot coat them after mock up.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I would go with 1 3/4 fir clearance at steering shaft and control arm adjustment bolts.
I have had Headman coated for 3 years now and they look like when I installed them. Keep the carb and timing in check.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is what I found poking around.
Hedman # 68198 (Made in USA)
Hooker # 2118
Doug Thorley # THY 313-C
Dougs # D313
Patriot # H8024-1
Now there are others ,however these seem to be better quality than others. I checked all over and the only ones that say Made in USA are the Hedmans! Is that true???

·
Premium Member
12,951 Posts
I checked all over and the only ones that say Made in USA are the Hedmans! Is that true???
Lemons are made in the USA.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I removed them for a $2,500.00 set of Lemons headers which are very good headers but the ceramic coating is scratched to hellband back from the struggle to get them installed on my big block.
Do you have the Race or Pro-Tour headers? My Lemons will be delivered this week and I went with the Race version that wrap around the frame. I'm curious if I'm in for an adventure.

I've read elsewhere that if there are any fitment issues to give Dan a call and he'll fix them for you.

·
Premium Member
12,951 Posts
I have the pro tour headers. They are 2 inch. To be clear there are no fitment issues as when they are installed they clear every component on both sides. That being said they are a real pain to install. My suggestion would be to have your Chevelle on some knd of lift or elevated off the ground in some way. I had the advantage of installing them at the same time I was installing the engine ( two separate times) and cant imagine installing them with the engine on its mounts. Starter installation is a real brain scratcher also. You are in for a challenge.
maybe the race headers are different. I hope so.

Reactions: DraggedDown

·
Premium Member
9,181 Posts
Any of the speed shop headers are most likely only done on the outside and they will rust soon after you install them.The Jet Hot and other places that coat headers do both inside and outside.I think that's why they last so long without rusting.

·
Premium Member
1966 Chevelle S.S
502 Posts
I have the pro tour headers. They are 2 inch. To be clear there are no fitment issues as when they are installed they clear every component on both sides. That being said they are a real pain to install. My suggestion would be to have your Chevelle on some knd of lift or elevated off the ground in some way. I had the advantage of installing them at the same time I was installing the engine ( two separate times) and cant imagine installing them with the engine on its mounts. Starter installation is a real brain scratcher also. You are in for a challenge.
maybe the race headers are different. I hope so.

My headers will not go in with the engine on its mounts, it has to be raised at least a few feet.....my stock starter will go in past the headers but you need a lot of patience .....

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Can't speak for fitment on a 66 but Summit brand painted 1 3/4" fit my 68 with an iron head 454 perfect, I have Patriot coated 1 7/8" on the 489 in it now that was dyno'ed with them and they still look great
Those 1 7/8" headers are pretty nice, really HD headers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts