Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a 66 Chevelle and the engine builder I was going to use seems too busy, so now I am in the hunt, I am not opposed to a crate engine, however, there are so many options and it is overwhelming, looking to have a streetable/ occasional track 550 ish Hp Big block. I am in Wisconsin. Please any help is appreciated. I definitely understand you get what you pay for with engines at the same time i don't need to break the bank. Thanks to all

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Do yourself a big favour and call/Email Mark for a Engine you want
would be the best decision of your Car's life IMHO

VortecPro - Racing & Machine - Homepage

Various guys on here have and are more than Happy they did

Oliver69 from Italy bought 2 Engines from Mark one for his Street 69 Chevelle
and one for his Drag Race ElCamino

Do a Search of " Oliver69" Threads
https://www.chevelles.com/search/

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts

·
Vendor
9,142 Posts
I am building a 66 Chevelle and the engine builder I was going to use seems too busy, so now I am in the hunt, I am not opposed to a crate engine, however, there are so many options and it is overwhelming, looking to have a streetable/ occasional track 550 ish Hp Big block. I am in Wisconsin. Please any help is appreciated. I definitely understand you get what you pay for with engines at the same time i don't need to break the bank. Thanks to all
Crate Engine
ATK or Shafiroff

Custom Build for that kind of power
Mark Jones, Vortecpro.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Not to take anything away from the guys mentioned, but if you want to stay in Wisconsin there is an engine builder in Janesville that posts here. CMP motor work IIRC.

Good luck

J

Reactions: Pat_McNeil

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's not rocket science. Buy a core 454 rebuild it with a little bit more compression and put a cam in it and you got 550 horsepower. Plus building motors is fun.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm only 30 minutes away, but I am pretty busy right now and a few months out on projects. If I can help, give me a call.

Not to take anything away from the guys mentioned, but if you want to stay in Wisconsin there is an engine builder in Janesville that posts here. CMP motor work IIRC.

Good luck

J
Thanks Joe-

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I'm only 30 minutes away, but I am pretty busy right now and a few months out on projects. If I can help, give me a call.

Thanks Joe-
Your welcome,

The OP didn't seem to be comfortable taking on the project and when I read "Wisconsin" I thought of your shop. Glad to hear you're busy! My Chevelle is on the road and a beast. I did some fixes and mods since it was dyno'd and it's running great I'm looking at a rear anti roll bar to help hooking it up

I hope you and your family are all doing well

Joe

Reactions: Pat_McNeil

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
After I sent this reply I realized I may have inadvertently caused someone to think that Pete (CMP Motor Works) dyno'd my eng or did any work on it. He didn't have anything to do with it. When I was originally looking for an engine builder I met with and talked to Pete. I ended up not going with him because of my location/ distance. Later when I was having problems with my build, Pete offered advice even though I didn't go with him. During our talks I showed him my dyno sheet, that's all.

Sorry if I confused anyone, but Pete's a stand up guy which if why I even posted anything

Thanks again
J

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,412 Posts
I am not opposed to a crate engine, Please any help is appreciated.
:cool: Just stay away from the Chevrolet Performance 454 HO and their ZZ454. They both suffer from poor Quality Control and the HOe is a mismatched parts nightmare. On the other hand the ZZ502 seems fine.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pete,
Thanks for the response, oddly enough my original engine builder started responding last week and may be back in the running, if they drop back out i will be giving you a call. Thanks again to all others responding

1 - 12 of 12 Posts