Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a mid 77 454 cast crankshaft.....
Were "all" the BBC cranks machined for a pilot bushings?
Either mine has not been machined (possibly a casting flaw discovered there) or something has been placed in the opening

I'll hang a pic in a few minutes....
CLOSE-UP of the crank in question:

Shot of the 'odd' crank with another crank for comparison:

Engine is destined for my 70 Elky/automatic

·
Super Moderator
13,297 Posts
George,
Its kind of hard to tell by your picture. Is the hole in the middle the correct size for an input shaft to go into ? Some of the early (55 ?) engines used a "wierd" pilot bushing. Can you tell if the piece in the center is a different material than the crankshaft, like a bronze material ? I have never seen one not machined for the bushing.

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill.
I just traded notes with FRYNTYR. Probing with some Eddy carb linkage arms behind the hole...it does appear someone has put a washer in there...hollow behind......I have enlarged the hole slightly, I threaded a bike-hanging hook in there...simply bent the hook trying to pry it out. I guess I'll take the crank back to Darren Cope/Cope Bros ...let them play washer removal.

·
Administrator
17,145 Posts
Run a tap into it-(whatever fits) ,then just thread a bolt in till it bottoms ,then thread it in some more ;)

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not too much cool-guy stuff around the garage...I loaded the crank into the Elky. Don at Cope got the offending washer out in just a few minutes..much like Mike said in post 4.
Up in the pilot bushing area all looked well..... We're at a loss why/how/WTF the washer was jammed up there.
Deluxe tank, w/new cam bearings freeze plugs, remove a few busted-off-flush pan bolts. polish crank, clean check reassemble low-mile 063 heads, remove stupid washer from crank...with the Governor's take, a bit over $230.

$200 for the shortblock with std bore...already honed by FRYNTYR....reassembly should start very soon.....will be checking a few things like how far down the hole the slugs are... I should come in at 8.8:1--9.0:1...as well as all the clearances.....and make my 'final' cam decision....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts