Team Chevelle banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the secret to installing the intake manifold-to-water pump bypass hose on a BBC and making it look like it fits properly? I've repeated the installation a number of times using hose of various lengths and I still end up with a kink or unsightly bend in the middle of the hose.
My car has an Edelbrock intake with aftermarket hose fittings that have the wrench-hex on them. The raised location of the intake fitting and the longer length of the hose fittings may be my problem.

Also...Do you guys use thread sealant on the threads of water pump bolts?

Thanks very much,
Rick

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts
I plugged mine w/stainless plugs.
As long as you still have the heater core connected or have some vent holes in your thermostat you don't need the bypass.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plugged mine w/stainless plugs.
As long as you still have the heater core connected or have some vent holes in your thermostat you don't need the bypass.
We did exactly that on our other car but would like to keep this one kinda stockish-looking...

Thanks for the responses, guys!

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
I used a straight & a 45 degree fitting from Performance Stainless Steel,it turned out pretty good,heres a picture;

Heres a link to Performance SS;
http://performancesst.com/home.php
Guy

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
browse the rack at the parts store for a hose (proper diameter) with an "s" curve in it. Trim to fit. No kinks, no adapters.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Check this out. I thought it was the most tidy way I've seen this handled. It was added on this site by somebody named Atle.

Attachments

·
Gold Founding Member
5,804 Posts
I had the same problem until I changed the fittings. Some of the available hex fittings are longer than others. Mine have the hex part right up against the water pump and Intake. I am also running an Edelbrock intake.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
These are 3/4" bypass hoses with a molded 45* angle in it (trim to fit)...

Gates 19670
Dayco 88387
Napa 11670
Goodyear 63081
AC Delco 14187S

The 45 degree fittings mentioned by others are for 5/8" hose, not 3/4".

·
Registered
581 Posts
All the major car parts places carry them. Many times we get wrapped up in these antique cars and forget about the chevy part interchange theory that they used. Also the wide availability of these parts. If yiu go to an aftermarket chevelle dealer they will charge 2-3 times what you can get locally. For instance, i needed some motor mount for a 66 el camino. They had them at advance in stock $4.99 each. When i did my 496 i got that hose fromm NAPA in stock for little money.

jim

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These are 3/4" bypass hoses with a molded 45* angle in it (trim to fit)...

Gates 19670
Dayco 88387
Napa 11670
Goodyear 63081
AC Delco 14187S

The 45 degree fittings mentioned by others are for 5/8" hose, not 3/4".
That may be it right there...Great info! Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts