Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one tell me if their is such a thing as tall covers with the booster cutout.
I am running a 67 427 with 70 booster.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I don't think they offer tall valve covers for big blocks, at least from the factory.
I would recommend staying with the factory
style valve cover.
Jeff.

[This message has been edited by JSL (edited 03-20-99).]

·
Registered
111 Posts
CFR if you find a pair of these, please E-mail me directly. I need a pair also. I have a 70 booster in my 66 and need more clearance. It seems like the drippers on the stock ones hit the poly-locks. Thanks, Rick...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've never seen any tall valve covers with notching for brake booster clearance. I removed my stock booster and replaced it with a dual diaphram booster from an 85 Olds Cutlass (also used b-body master cylinder). The late model booster is smaller diameter and leaves plenty of valve cover clearance. Plus, I NEVER run out of boost (was a big problem with the stock booster and a mechanical cam). The big drawback is not looking stock.

------------------

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hodgewas this a bolt on thing? I was looking at late 70's & mid 80's camaros for a smaller booster. It looks like they bolt on from under the dash. I don't want to stand on my head to install this type. Thanks for your info. Rick....

·
Registered
38 Posts
I went through four different sets of valve-covers, before I found a set that would cover the tall roller-rockers that I had installed, and still leave space for the stock power booster. The set that did it all was an after-market crome set. It has one tall, straight side, and has one side beveled. It had no brand-name on it. I purchased it at a swap meet during Hot-August Nights, in Reno.

Sorry I can't be of more help in directing you to a source, but they do make a cover that works.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No Rick, putting the late model booster on a Chevelle is not a bolt on swap. Rob the brackets off you old booster (use a die grinder to remove the factory rivets). Enlarge the rivet holes to mount the stock brackets to the late model booster and then bolt the assembly to the car. Works great!

Use a B-body master cylinder. The bore is simular to the A-body disc brake master cylinder and will push enough fluid for your brakes to work properly. Mine came of a 88 Impala. This master cylinder has metric threaded outlets. Get these fittings off the same donor car.

------------------

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SS BAD S sure wish i could find a set of tall ones at a swap meet. I have been looking
for tall ones for two years. Ihave a set of short ones with a cutout(dont know why they
are cutout they have plenty room without)
but they dont look right. I guess i will
keep on looking thanks for the info.

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
I put a set of plain TD Tall Chrome valve covers (w/baffles) on my 454 and have about a 1/16th of an inch clearance between them and my power brake booster -- No scratching or dents in them yet. I also found a shorter "tall" set from the Chevy dealer that would have fit w/ more clearance but they cost $134.00. I also wanted plain. When I replace my booster, I may grind it down the rivets -- good idea. I too looked at the short covers with cutouts (made for vettes) and found it absurd that no one seems to make a tall set with a cut out -- GO FIGURE.

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.