Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reason I ask is that I'm replacing the rusted radiator core support in my SB car (1970). I seem to recall my previous BB car had 4-bolts on the top of radiator, and the radiator was much larger. Haven't decided on converting to a big block yet, but want to keep the option open while I do this replacement. Thx, TK.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Yes they are different. Big Block cars and Small Block cars W/AC (heavy duty cooling) have a larger opening for the larger radiator. These are the ones with 4 bolts.

------------------
JeffK ACES #01510
Team Chevelle Gold #72
496 EFI/Richmond 6-Speed
[email protected]
Jeff's Chevelle Page

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
they really are the same. If you have a small block support, true the rad opening will be smaller but the outline of the larger opening will be stamped in the support. So it can be opened up to the same size. Same with the 4 vs 3 upper rad support bolts, the marks are there for each set of bolts. You can just drill out the other set to use the larger support. Definately not for a concours resto, but not noticable on a nice driver.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
drptop, thanks immensely for your comment. That changes everything! I already have a replacement small block support in my hands, and was contemplating dumping it to get a bb support instead. If I can go ahead and use this one in either case, that makes my life easier. Agreed, a modified support will keep me out of the Barrett-Jackson auction, but I have no delusions of being there anyway!

[This message has been edited by TK-70 (edited 01-27-2000).]

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
Tom,

As e-mailed earlier - I did the swap in my 71 never changed my rad support or opened it up. In fact I never even considered it would be a problem. In the end it worked out fine.

Also as I recall in my 71 I had 4 bolts on my small block rad support. I'll try and bring a pic to work, scan it here and e-mail it to you.

By the way saw the pic of your car in your paint post. Hope you don't mind I saved it my screen savor - car looks great from the pic.

Rich

------------------
70 SS - L34
Member # 442
www.chevelles.com/showroom/richr1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.