Team Chevelle banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1972 cranberry red 454 ps,pb,at,ac
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any help i engine builder and i need to make descision.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
the 1.750 headers i used to have were cheaper,
fit very nice, did not hang down,
spark plugs were easy to change,
oil filter was easier to change
the extra airflow is not needed till above 5000rpm or so.

the 2'' super comps were the opposite of the 1.750 units; :(

·
Premium Member
11,965 Posts
For me that would be an easy choice. The Hedman Elite 68198 only come in 1&3/4 inch but are very good fitting, heavy gauge steel and heavy gauge flanges. Hard to beat for reasonably priced headers.

Reactions: RAIDER SS

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
My Patriot 1 7/8ths fit real good, I did need to make a small dimple at a drv side motor mount bolt head, thick 3/8ths flange and IIRC 16 ga. steel, welded 3 bolt hole collector flange and ceramic coated under $500

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
My Patriot 1 7/8ths fit real good, I did need to make a small dimple at a drv side motor mount bolt head, thick 3/8ths flange and IIRC 16 ga. steel, welded 3 bolt hole collector flange and ceramic coated under $500

·
Registered
473 Posts
Try changing #8 spark plug with hooker 2" headers installed

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have Hooker super Comps 2" on my 69 the only plug I have a problem with is #7 because of steering shaft other than that they fit good but snug

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
I have Hooker super Comps 2" on my 69 the only plug I have a problem with is #7 because of steering shaft other than that they fit good but snug
#7 is to only easy one on my combo;
i use 3-different ground down spark plug sockets
and i have to loosen the pass side to get the shorty socket past the tubes,
then i can get an open end wrench on the end of the socket; 1/8 of a turn and flip the wrench:(
i do have raised 0.400'' exhaust ports that raise the pipes up close to the plugs...

·
Registered
473 Posts
These are Hooker 2455-1 long tube headers, Had to dimple tube by right control arm and had to move proportional brake valve.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i replaced my ancient hedman headers with what i believe is the exact replacement number 63002. they are 2" down to 3" collector. they fit perfectly on my 454, don't hang as low as the super comp's. i do have a g-force crossmember now though. the original ancient hedman's had a slot cut in the collector to bend it down and under the original crossmember.

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
I had a set of 1-3/4 years ago. They fit much better than the 2” Hookers I have now. If that’s your question, typically smaller headers will fit better. I stepped up to a bigger header for performance reasons and everything works and fits, but it’s tighter with the larger tubes, and aftermarket heads with raised exhaust ports just make the situation worse.
Devin

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I just bought a pair of patriots and they are much nicer than the Hookers I have. I just wished the merge collectors were as cheap as the one for a 2" pair. May have to modify the bigger ones to fit the 1 7/8" tubes.

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
I have a new set of 2.5" Patriot collector 3 bolt flange you can have just pay the ride, they came with my headers but I had to buy 3"

·
Registered
1972 cranberry red 454 ps,pb,at,ac
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just bought a pair of patriots and they are much nicer than the Hookers I have. I just wished the merge collectors were as cheap as the one for a 2" pair. May have to modify the bigger ones to fit the 1 7/8" tubes.
these were ceramic coated?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts