Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the head studs squared away and went to drop on my felpro 1047 gaskets and found the some of the coolant passages don't line up. Looks like summit's application for these gaskets is incorrect.

on the block (2 bolt 454 machined for center splayed) has two coolant holes on towards the rear of the block that match up with the iron hi-per heads. The heads have the same passage on the front and the block does not.

The block also does not have the 3 large steam holes.

Will the felpro 1017 work?

·
Premium Member
13,105 Posts
I finally got the head studs squared away and went to drop on my felpro 1047 gaskets and found the some of the coolant passages don't line up. Looks like summit's application for these gaskets is incorrect.

on the block (2 bolt 454 machined for center splayed) has two coolant holes on towards the rear of the block that match up with the iron hi-per heads. The heads have the same passage on the front and the block does not.

The block also does not have the 3 large steam holes.

Will the felpro 1017 work?
=
Yes the 1017 will work with either cooling system on the Gen IV block but why not just drill the two extra holes / side?
It takes all of about a half hour & is the later & better cooling.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to check if my block is filled but I don't have the 3 .5-.75" holes on the bottom. I have one and the gasket half covers it?

Seems like a picture is worth 1000 words here. I'll post a pic of what I'm dealing with tonight.

Very tempted to just cut the gasket to fit my setup.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread with a stupid Question, But can you retork a head or do you have to take the head off and re place the gasket. It seems we are getting a little seepage between the head and the block.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would start by loosening the bolts a little bit and going back through the torque procedure. If that fixes it then you're good to go. If not new head gasket time and try to find the reason you're leaking.

I forgot to take the pictures. I should get around to it tonight. I was having too much fun with a sawsall and some old plaster walls in my house.

·
Registered
26 Posts
horray, picture time

Here is a shot of my block with the old Mr. Gasket on it. As you can see on the left side, both coolant passages are open, on the right there is nothing. The 3 coolant holes around the clyinders are present towards the lifter valley and if you look hard you can see that there is only one on the header side and its half covered by the gasket (toward the right side of the picture)

A closer shot of what is going on under that gasket

Here's the felpro lined up next the the Mr. Gasket. Now that Mr was never used on this engine. The previous owner gave it to me as spares. The main thing is the felpro is missing one of the coolant passages on the left side.

Right now I'm thinking either try the 1017 or just carefully cut out the 2nd coolant passage and perhaps cut out the one for the lower coolant passage that is half covered. Thoughts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.