Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone feeding 461-502 c.i. up to 6500-7000 rpm? If so what mechanical fuel pump are you useing?
Also anyone getting away with the afore mentioned specifications useing the L88 or 70 vett 454 stock pump?
Are you getting away with the 5/16 fuel line?
Nitrous system is seprate.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model
69 Chevelle coupe
71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette
71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

W

·
0 Posts
Harley, use one of the Carter or Edlebrock high capacity pumps and at least a 3/8 fuel line. If you are planning on running hard or make some trips to the drag strip it will help a bunch.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 10-02-99).]

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the problem. Butchering the El Camino.
She nosed over on me the other night During a real hard pull, surly fuel delevery, I need to figure a way to get a 1/2 fuel line into the tank with a "minimum" of disturbance to the stock appearence. Cutting a big hole in the tank for one of those weld in drop fuel outlets is out of the question, However I may be willing to put in a bulkhead connector on the passengers side about an inch or so up the side an to the front.
Any thoughts or suggestions on the matter?
The nitrous system runs on a removeable fuel cell mounted in the bed.

------------------
Harley
69 Chevelle coupe
71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette
71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm running a 454, feeding it with an Edelbrock victor jr pump (their "strip" version) and 3/8" line (stock) all the way to the tank. Since changing to this pump w/ a regulator, I've ran it up to 7K w/ no starvation at all.

You can upgrade your 5/16 system to 3/8 with minimal bellyaching. Just change the stock sender, all of the line with bigger line and your set. 1/2" is really overkill, but if you need to do it. Just weld in a bung, the NOS system doesn't exactly look factory, and not too many people crawl underneath your car, and those that do will just notice you've got a garden hose running out of your tank.

Or just run the 1/2" line straight through the top in the factory position, it wouldn't take much to pull the sender, cut out the 5/16" line, hog out the hole to 1/2" and braze in 1/2" line. This would be the most "stock" looking, and also makes for a clean setup as it looks like it came that way.

Though, with NOS, I'd be paranoid that the mechanical pump may fail. I'd personally run an electric pump near the tank, and braided line all the way up to the carb.

And to add one more thing. I've yet to hear of any getting away with running 5/16" line with a big block that rev's higher than 4000. Someone feel free to disagree and tell me how dumb I am and how they used to run their BB with 1/4" line all the way up to 10K while oval racing, but I've yet to see or hear it done.

Wes

·
Registered
339 Posts
Piping design used to be my living. In a suction line, every turn or ell, every fitting, twist, flat spot reduces flow and increases the chance of cavitation, or pulling vapor out of the fuel, especially at high flow rates. Improve the setup a bunch maybe with a pusher pump at tank, but a bigger line, straight as possible, will slow down the flow, reduce vapor lock, increase capacity a bunch compared to the small increase in diameter. That 5/16 line is probably not going to do it no matter what. tom

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 1/2 inch line is to feed NOS and engine.
Get the cell and bottle out of the bed, there is a good place for hideing the bottle/s underneath on the El Camino. Future plans include 2 stage fogger system or hidden single stage (depends on which I can dig up, design, fabricate etc.)
Perhaps I can bulkhead in a 3/8 line to feed motor through mechanical and retain the 5/16 to feed a single stage through the electrical pump.
I don't know yet, just thought I would bounce it off you'all first. Before I started throwing money at it.

Daddy is saving for a 502+ so the system is gonna have to feed a monster someday.

------------------
Harley
69 Chevelle coupe
71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette
71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

[This message has been edited by Harley (edited 10-02-99).]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Harley, only 430 ci, but the stock AC pump delivers over 9.5 lbs. I had to regulate it to 5.5 to prevent any float havoc with the holley. I am certain it'll provide enough juice for my TRI setup. That'll have to support 3 30 cc pumps and more.

I don't have a part number but it is a AC pump.

Gene Chas
Gold 62
67 SS396/427

BTW, I'm only spinnin' her to 6800 or so. Wally knows the part number, 435 maybe?

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 10-02-99).]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Harley- one thing that will help you in the future (I think). Keep it simple.

You don't really need three independant lines running from your tank. Just upsize to the 3/8" and run it all from there. I've seen guys who run 454's, supercharged and on NOS, and they all run 3/8" or 1/2". There really is no reason to keep the 5/16", if your going to provide an alternative route for the fuel, just make it a constant feed for everything, or have it the main feed for the motor and run another for the NOS.

If you get too complicated it just leaves more room for error, and error isn't a good thing when talking about fuel, or nitrous oxide.

Then again. You can call Summit, or NOS and see what they recommend for your situation. They will probably have the best answer.

Wes

·
Super Moderator
1,818 Posts
I'm running the Edelbrock Victor Mechanical pump with 1/2" line and a Mallory fuel pressure reg. It feeds my 408 cu in. big block and the 125 shot Nitrous system. I istalled the 1/2" line along the same path as the stock 3/8" line and drilled a 1/2" hole into the stock sender unit and installed a piece of 1/2" tube right along side the stock pickup tube and soldered it in the top of the pickup. Make sure to remove the sock on the stock pickup tube. I just capped off the stock pickup tube, in case I need a return someday. The entire setup looks stock to me, and I get my nice 1/2" line. E-mai lme if you have any questions

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.